Summary: The Woman caught in adultery faced leaglism but found mercy and Grace in Jesus Christ.
1. Each segment of society has its own terminology:
a. computer terms (foreign to me)
b. medical terms (confusing,hard to understand)
c. mechanic terms (could fool me in a minute!)
2. The church is no exception...we use terms like
justification, sanctification, glorification, etc.
that are foreign terms to the average person who
has no church background.
3. Even we who attend church regularly often need
reminding of the meaning of terms...ALLOW ME
TO SHARE THREE OF THESE TODAY from the encounter
Jesus had in our passage.
I. LEGALISM (GOING BY THE LETTER OF THE LAW TO THE
EXCLUSION OF HUMAN NEEDS...NO ROOM
FOR ERROR, SIN, OR REDEMPTION)
1. These "religious caretakers" represent the
spirit of legalism in many churches today.
2. They wanted to TRAP Jesus..and thought they
"had Him" this time.
3. They had caught a woman in the very act of
adultery (not rumor..caught in the act)..and
welcomed the opportunity to bring her before
Jesus..(as a TEST)
4. "THE LAW SAYS (LEGALISM) such a one should be
stoned...WHAT DO YOU SAY, JESUS??"
a. if Jesus said Stone her, He would negate
all his teaching about forgiveness.
b. if Jesus said don’t stone her, he would be
guilty of breaking OLD TESTAMENT LAW...
and in their eyes not be credible as the Son
TRS: I thank God that Jesus used his Divine Wisdom
in dealing with this...let us see what He
II. MERCY (NOT GETTING WHAT WE DESERVE)
1. Did the Adulteress deserve to die? YES!!
2. But Jesus didn’tgive her what she deserved.
Get the picture...He stoops down, writes on the
ground as the legalists continue to press Him
for an answer (to stone or not to stone??)
He rises up and says "He who is without Sin, let HIM
cast the first stone."
a. not denying the law, yet making the point that
NO HUMAN BEING IS QUALIFIED TO CONDEMN ANOTHER
HUMAN BEING...WE HAVE ALL SINNED AND COME SHORT
OF THE GLORY OF GOD!
b. ONE BY ONE, THE STONES THAT WERE TO BE HURLED
AT THE DESPERATE WOMAN, WERE DROPPING TO THE
GROUND...AND THE LEGALISTS WERE WALKING AWAY
WITH THEIR HEADS HUNG IN SHAME...NO ONE WAS
QUALIFIED TO CAST THE FIRST (OR ANY OTHER) STONE!
trs: SHE DIDN’T GET WHAT SHE DESERVED (THAT’S MERCY)
BUT LET US SEE ONE OTHER IMPORTANT TERM:
III. GRACE (GETTING WHAT WE DON’T DESERVE)
1. GRACE and Mercy are two sides of the same coin.
2. Jesus looked at the woman after the accusers had
gone..saying "has no one condemned you??" She
answers "NO ONE, LORD"
...and here’s the GOOD PART: JESUS SAID "NEITHER
DO I CONDEMN THEE...GO AND FROM NOW ON, SIN NO
3. DID JESUS CONDONE ADULTERY?? NO WAY!!
4. DID JESUS ACT WITH COMPASSION? yes!!!
**THE ONLY ONE QUALIFIED TO CAST THE FIRST
STONE INSTEAD OFFERED MERCY AND GRACE...AND
THE OPPORTUNITY FOR THIS WOMAN, GUILTY AS SHE
WAS, TO START HER LIFE OVER....CLEAN AND FORGIVEN
5. ALTHOUGH IT’S NOT RECORDED, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THIS
WOMAN EVER COMMITTED ADULTERY AGAIN! WHY??
BECAUSE SHE STOOD CONDEMNED..GUILTY..AND COULD DIE..
YET JESUS CHRIST GAVE HER NEW LIFE BECAUSE OF HIS
MERCY AND GRACE.
6. JESUS SEES THE NEEDS OF PEOPLE BEFORE THE ENFORCING
OF PRINCIPLES. HE NEVER NEGATES PRINCIPLES, BUT