Summary: God will help you accomplish what He has given you to do.
Series: Learning Victory From Joshua Dr. Elmer Towns
Lesson 11: How To Accomplish A Big Hard Scary Job September 30, 2012
A. SIZE UP BIG JOBS WITH A BIG OVERALL PERSPECTIVE: JOSHUA 10:16-43
1. Why big jobs defeat us?
a. We¡¦re scared of failure.
b. We don¡¦t know where to start.
c. We¡¦ve failed at big jobs before.
d. Lack of motivation.
e. Worthy goal, but not with my limitations.
¡§God led Israel to cross the Jordan River and destroy Jericho, located half way between the north and south borders. Providentially Gibeon forced Israel to march across the middle of Israel to destroy five kings and their kingdoms in the middle of the land, dividing the enemy of the south from the enemy of the north. Then Joshua systematically defeated each capital city one at a time in the south¡¨ (Summary of chapter 10).
2. Act in faithful boldness so you will complete the task.
3. Have a compelling force that drives you to work. ¡§Do not fear . . . not a man of them shall stand before you¡¨ (10:8).
4. Realize God is on your side. ¡§The LORD heeded the voice of a man; for the LORD fought for Israel¡¨ (10:14).
5. Expect problems, even when they hide. ¡§These five kings had fled and hidden themselves in a cave¡¨ (10:16).
a. If you don¡¦t defeat them/solve the problems, they will come back with greater difficulties.
b. Be goal focused, but aware of problems.
6. Put off big problems, solve smaller problems at hand. ¡§Roll large stones against the mouth of the cave . . . pursue your enemies, and attack their rear guard¡¨ (10:18-19).
„X Write out the problem.
„X Gather all facts.
„X Determine the various solutions.
„X Test the solutions.
„X Choose a solution (make a decision, make it work).
7. Watch out for criticism. ¡§None moved his tongue against¡¨ (10:21).
8. Eventually encounter big problems straight on. ¡§Brought out those kings to Joshua¡¨ (10:24).
9. Momentum. Every small solution encourages solutions to future big problems. ¡§Come near and put your feet on the necks of those kings¡¨ (10:24).
10. Positive outlook on future. ¡§Don¡¦t be afraid . . . for thus the LORD will do to all your enemies against whom you fight¡¨ (10:25).
11. Deal thoroughly with obstacles. ¡§Joshua struck them and killed them, and hanged them on five trees¡¨ (10:26).
12. Don¡¦t live with negatives; put past problems/failures out of mind. ¡§Joshua commanded, and they took them down from the trees, cast them into the cave . . . and laid large stones against the cave¡¦s mouth¡¨ (10:27).
13. Stair step from one victory to another. ¡§Joshua did to the five kings as he did to Jericho¡¨ (10:28, ELT).
14. Some solutions come quickly, others take time. ¡§Lachish . . . on the second day¡¨ (10:32).
15. Don¡¦t let problems cluster together and overwhelm your thinking. ¡§Horam king of Gezer came up to help Lachish¡¨ (10:33).
16. Some problems take longer, so make a long-term commitment to work on it. ¡§Eglon . . . Israel . . . encamped against it and fought against it¡¨ (10:34).
17. Don¡¦t leave anything out. ¡§Joshua left none remaining¡¨ (10:40).