Luke 2:1-20 Lessons from the Shepherds
I. Their Humble Vocation -
8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night These were:-
a) Working men - Their Fields,
b) Waiting men - Their Fights,
c) Watching men - Their Flocks
II Their Holy Revelation a) The Appearance of the Angel - 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
· The Angel’s Presence - 9 lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them,
· The Angel’s Persona - the glory of the Lord shone round about them
· The Angel’s Power - 9 and they were sore afraid.
b) The Assurance of the Angel - 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy,
which shall be to all people.
c) The Acquaintance of the Angel - 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
· The People (for unto you) · The Period (is born this day)
· The Place (in the city of David) · The Person (a Saviour)
· The Prominence (which is Christ the Lord)
d) The Assistance of the Angel - 12 This shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger
· The Sign
· The Setting - wrapped in swaddling clothes - Death Clothes
· The Scene - lying in a manger
III Their Heavenly Congregation - 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
a) Words of “Heavenly Acclamation” 14 Glory to God in the highest,
b) “Earthly Anticipation” 14 on earth peace, good will toward men
IV Their Hasty Visitation
a) Their Discussion 15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another,
b) Their Decision - Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass,
c) Their Declaration - which the Lord hath made known unto us.
d) Their Determination - 16 And they came with haste,
e) Their Detection - and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
· The Ease of Finding Him
· The Eagerness of Finding Him
· The Enrichment of Finding Him
· The Manger Held The Promised Lamb · The Provided Lamb
· The Precious Lamb · The Perfect Lamb
V. Their Happy Proclamation
a) “What they saw” - 17 And when they had seen it
b) “What they shared” - 17 they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.
c) “What they showed” - 18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
VI. Their Hearty Glorification - 20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
a) Their Return to the Fold - 20 And the shepherds returned,
b) Their Report of their Find - glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them