Summary: A powerful look at how faith should shape our lives and help us to live in obedience to God’s will.
Text: Joshua 6:1-20
Title: “Lessons In Faith”
I. An Obstacle To Faith (1)
• The walls around Jericho
o Jericho was a military fortress.
o Outer wall – 6 ft. thick and 30 ft. high.
o Inner wall – 12 ft. thick and 30 ft. high.
o The two walls were 15 ft. apart and connected by houses that were built across the top.
• Here you have the children of Israel looking at this massive structure with little more than bronze swords to take it down.
• The truth is that we all face obstacles in our way to carrying out God’s will; obstacles that at first glance seem like we will never be able to over come.
o Consider these:
o Abraham was too old.
o Moses could not speak very well.
o David was just a shepherd boy.
o Peter, John, and Andrew were uneducated fisherman.
o Paul suffered from a thorn in his flesh.
o And yet they all overcame these to do great things for God.
• We as a church have already faced some obstacles and we will face many, many more.
o The choice is do we press on and trust God or do we give up and go home?
II. The Promise Of Faith (2)
• Notice Joshua doesn’t seek the advice of his commanders or go ask the people what they think he should do, he goes and talks with God.
Matthew 6:33 -- 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
o Seek God first in all things, not as a last resort or when all else fails.
• God tells Joshua, “See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor.”
o Were the walls still standing there and the people still inside? Of course they were.
o That is the essence of faith, only God can speak of a future event (something He is going to do) in the past tense (like it has already happened).
o That is our faith! Trusting God so much that we live like it has already taken place.
o None of us have ever been to Heaven, but God tells us to live like it is our home.
Luke 7:9 -- 9 When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned around and said to the crowd that followed Him, “I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!”
Hebrews 11:7 -- 7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.
• We must also remember whose battle it was and who was in charge.
o The battle had already been won, victory already had been claimed.
III. The Call To Faith (3-7)
• Our faith will always be accompanied by God asking us to do something.
o When was the last time God said by faith I want you to sit in your house and do nothing but worry about the problem?
o By faith Abel offered, by faith Enoch was taken up, by faith Noah built, by faith Abraham left his home and went out, by faith Sarah conceived, by faith Isaac blessed, by faith Moses choose, by faith Rahab sent out the spies.
• Here God asks the Israelites to march around the city, not saying a word, but only the priests blowing 7 rams’ horns for 6 days. Then on the 7th day do it 7 times and then shout.