Summary: Sermon preached on 4th of July weekend
Let Freedom Ring
Lord Jesus, thou who art the way, the truth, and the life; hear us as we pray for the truth that shall make all free. Teach us that liberty is not only to be loved but also to be lived. Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books. It costs too much to be hoarded. Help us see that our liberty is not the right to do as we please, but the opportunity to please to do what is right.Peter Marshall, Before the U.S. Senate
AS A CHILD OF GOD WE ARE GIVEN FREEDOM IN SEVERAL AREAS:
I. FREE FROM THE BONDAGE OF SIN. VS. 33
A) The Pharisees didn¡¦t want to admit what history tells us is true. Israel was in bondage to man on many occasions¡KThey had been in bondage to Egypt, in Babylon, and even while talking with Christ, were under the bondage of Rome.
B) Many people today are unwilling to admit that they are in bondage.
1) There has been a renaming of sin in our world, a justification of what God says is harmful to us as individuals.
2) Just as the first step for the alcoholic is to admit that he/she has a problem¡Kthe first step to becoming spiritually free is to realize that we have a sin problem.
C) The truth breaks the death grip of sin on our lives. Vs. 31
1) We are saved by grace alone but when we are saved it gives us a desire to avoid sin and choose right.
2) The truth is Jesus Christ. John 18:37-40
II. FREE FROM THE FATHER OF SIN. John 8:44-45
A) The Pharisees were claiming God as their Father, yet Jesus pointed out that their father was Satan.
B) Satan is not responsible for every temptation we face.
1) Our sinful nature draws us to temptation.
2) Satan is defeated in the power of Christ.
„Y Satan is very real and is still at work with his demons.
„Y Satan is given power in our life when we give him footholds.
„Y Waving the name of Jesus like a magic wand to defeat Satan is not biblical, living in the Power of God through Jesus will give us power over his temptations and attacks.
Nearly two out of three adults¡X62%¡Xagreed that Satan ¡§is not a living being but is a symbol of evil.¡¨ This response has remained relatively consistent throughout the Nineties. Among the more surprising findings, however, are that a majority of born again Christians deny Satan¡¦s existence (52%); nearly three-quarters of Catholics say the devil is non-existent (72%); and women are more likely than men to reject Satan¡¦s existence (64% vs. 59%).\Barna Research Group, Ltd., Oxnard, CA
Make no mistake about it¡KSatan is real¡KHe was created an angelic being who rebelled against God, was cast out of heaven, and spends his time attacking the children of God and spreading evil in the world. However, he is a created being¡Khe is not God¡Khe has been defeated by Christ¡¦s death, burial, and resurrection, and will one day be bound forever in hell¡K
III. FREE FROM THE WAGES OF SIN. ROMANS 6:23
A) Payment is sure to be made for every individual.
1) You can pay this debt by spending an eternity in hell.
2) Or you can accept God¡¦s free gift¡Kthat gift is that Jesus has paid your debt for you¡KYou must receive this gift.