Summary: This Memorial Day sermon looks at what spiritual freedom is and Who died for it.
Sunday Morning May 26, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: Memorial Day (2002)
LET FREEDOM RING
1. On this Memorial Day weekend we remember those who gave their lives for us so that we can live in a free country.
2. Freedom to worship where we choose. Freedom to work wherever we choose. Freedom to get as high of an education as we choose.
3. As wonderful as this freedom is, it is not the most important freedom you can have.
4. The freedom I am talking about belongs to all sorts of people and comes from Jesus Christ. This freedom has nothing to do with social status, wealth, or political power.
Set Free From Slavery Of Sin
1. Sin blinds. Satan deceives. You were a slave to sin and did not even know it until the Holy Spirit convicted you of your sins.
2. As Jesus Christ was hanging on a cross for my sins and yours, He cried, “It is finished.” That tells us that the price necessary for our salvation was paid in full. Christ paid the price.
Set Free From Rituals
1. Because Jesus bought us, we are no longer under the law. As Galatians says, the Law is only there as a schoolmaster, as a guideline. We are not held accountable to the Law for our salvation, we are held accountable to the surrendering of our lives to Jesus Christ for our salvation.
2. We don’t have to offer sacrifices for the cleansing of sin, Christ did that for us. We no longer have to go to some priest and confess our sins to them so that they can make sacrifice for us. We can go to God through Jesus Christ Who is our High Priest. You can go directly to God anytime you want! You are free! By the way, that is why when you go to God in prayer, you must ask for forgiveness of your sins.
1. We were set free from the clutches of sin. Sin is the reason we die. Although we will die physically, (unless Jesus comes and raptures you out before that time), Christians will not die the second death. But, the book of Revelations tells us that those that die without Jesus will be cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death. Jesus sets us free from the second death. We were spiritually dead, but with Jesus He makes us new. He brings us back to life.
2. Sin has done us no favors and yet we can’t resist? Stand firm. Stop allowing your “pet sins” to hold you captive. Stop allowing sin to enslave you because you have been set free!
1. As you stand firm, don’t forget Who set you free. It was not something you did on your own. When we forget Who is in charge and begin to think we got it all figured out; then we begin to become legalistic like the Pharisees were. Just as the Pharisees, we try to add to salvation. For the Jews it was circumcision.
2. We must be careful that we not forget our focus. Rituals did not set us free, Jesus did. Without Jesus Christ, all of your rituals and services mean nothing. Don’t forget you are serving god for His purpose not yours.