Summary: What would you have said to the girl who was afraid of a witches curse? I thought for a few minutes and said, "Let me tell you about some real magic. Let me tell you about Jesus."
Preaching Jesus Christ
TEXT: Acts 8:21-36
1. One of the arguments for the existence of God is the worshiping nature of man.
2. I have often made the argument that man has never found the remains an atheistic society.
3. There seems to be something in man that says there is more to life than the physical world.
4. Russia is living testimony to this argument.
5. For 75 years, the USSR was an atheistic nation. It was against the law to teach anyone (even your children about God).
6. And yet after 75 years of this policy only about half of the Russian people claim to be atheists.
7. And most of those still believe in spiritual forces.
8. One of the tragedies of atheism is that when the Bible away from the people superstition and fear replaces it.
9. After the fall of the Berlin wall, I was one of the first Americans to teach the gospel in Archangel Russia – a city of 400,000 on the White Sea Just south of the Arctic Circle.
10. I studied with a young female university student whose Grandmother was practicing black arts and had claimed to steal away her image in water. She had been sick lately (not surprising that far north). and wondered if her Grandmother was cursing her. This bright articulate university student was terrified by her Grandmother’s power.
11. The Commnists had tried to free the people from religion, but, freedom from God is no freedom at all. It brings spiritual ignorance fear and slavery to the forces of darkness.
12. How would you have answered the girl’s fears.
13. I thought for a few minutes and said, "Let me tell you about some real magic. Let me tell you about Jesus."
I. His birth was a miracle that no one could have faked.
A. Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
Matthew 1:21-23 "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." 22 Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."
B. Micah 5:2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting."
C. Luke 2:1-6 And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. 2 This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. 3 So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city. 4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, 5 to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. 6 So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered.