Summary: BLESSINGS FOR THE MAN WHO FEARS THE LORD
BIG IDEA: BLESSINGS FOR THE MAN WHO FEARS THE LORD
“How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, Who walks in His ways.”
A. Promise – Abundant Blessing
- “everyone who fears the Lord”
- “Who walks in His ways”
I. (:2) PERSONAL BLESSINGS
A. Fruitful Labor
“When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands”
B. Happiness and Prosperity
“You will be happy and it will be well with you”
II. (:3) FAMILY BLESSINGS
A. Fruitful Wife
“Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine”
B. Numerous and Pleasant Children
“Within your house, Your children like olive plants Around your table”
“Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed Who fears the Lord”
III. (:5) NATIONAL BLESSINGS
A. Zion as the Source of all Blessing
“The Lord bless you from Zion”
B. Jerusalem as the Recipient of Blessing
“And may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life”
IV. (:6A) POSTERITY BLESSINGS
“Indeed, may you see your children’s children”
the joy of being permitted to see prosperity extended to the next generations
(:6B) BENEDICTION.“Peace be upon Israel”
Reflects concern for the furtherance of God’s kingdom on the earth.
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Think of how the Bible consistently preaches a strong work ethic. The “work of our hands” is something that God wants us to do ourselves to and something which He has promised to bless abundantly. What satisfaction do we get from the fruit of our labors?
2) Note the connection between fearing the Lord and obedience. How do you see that worked out in your family relationships between parents and children? Are we too permissive or “buddy-buddy” with our children in ways that undermine the proper respect that we are trying to instill and thus undermine their obedience?
3) Develop further the imagery of a wife like a fruitful vine and children like olive plants. What are some of the characteristics and applications that come to mind?
4) Note the emphasis on the blessing of grandchildren. Are we maintaining sufficient contact with our extended families to enjoy these blessings in a day when people seem to be so spread out geographically?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)