Summary: The Question is not "can America return to God" but rather, "will the Church?"
Let this be for You a Memorial
Independence Day 2006
Text: Leviticus 23:23-25
Was this a prophecy of America’s day of celebrating it’s independence? “Seventh month”, “first day” – okay, it’s close. “It’s a day off” “blowing trumpets” – okay, it’s not exactly a piccolo and drum, “you shall offer an offering of fire” – FIRE WORKS!!! Could it be!..... No but it is a Jewish memorial. The Books of the Old Testament are filled with passages where God is telling someone to write something down, set up a feast or stack up some stones “as a memorial”.
See, God knows us all to well. He knows that our memory, once just like His, perfect and everlasting – but now permanently damaged from the overdose of that “apple” – sometimes needs some help remembering. And it seems like the farther each generation has gotten from the garden the worse our memory has gotten. And America, today, is about as far as one could get from remembering some things. We need a renewal of some memorials.
Take our flag. “It’s just an emblem” “a symbol”. Not according to the , U.S. Code, Title 36 Section 176, Respect for the flag “The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing."
Yet this week, in the Land of the Free, 34 of our Senators could not muster the backbone to protect her from being turned into some rock star’s cloak or the kindling for some activist’s fiery protest. What does it say about some of our elected leaders who are so afraid to stand for our beloved country that they hide behind “freedom of speech” – Freedom that hundreds of thousands have given their lives to protect, just so a few can play with fire!
There are some other facts that are being forgotten today; Facts that are being written out of our children’s history classes.
• How many of you know that as you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S. Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world’s law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view... know who it is? It is Moses holding up the Ten Commandments!
• As you enter the U.S. Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.
• Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid Christian preacher, whose salary has been paid by U.S. taxpayers since 1777.
• 52 of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established Christian churches in the colonies.
• Thomas Jefferson worried that the U.S. courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law
• When the 100 year project of the construction of the Washington Monument was completed in Washington DC in 1875 congress decreed that no other structure was to supersede the monuments height of 555 feet. And etched into the East side of the Capstone are the words Laus Deo “Praise be to God”. Think of it, at the highest pentacle of the world’s most powerful nation is an acknowledgement to the only Source that made it all possible, God Almighty. There may be legislators who don’t know that. There may be presidents who don’t know that. There may be Supreme Court justices who don’t know that. But at the very top, the pinnacle of our nation’s capitol are these words, "Praise Be To God."