Summary: This is the 14th sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks". This sermon looks at the importance of The Lord’s Supper in worship.
Sunday Morning February 23, 2003 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Church On The Rocks¡¨ [#14]
LET US BREAK BREAD TOGETHER
1. When we come together to worship, what types of things do we do?
„« Read Scripture
„« Study Scripture
„« Give Offerings
„« Observe Baptisms
„« Observe Lord¡¦s Supper
2. Which one of these is the most important? They are equally important.
Points Of Worship
1. When we sing we are to lift our voices to God in praise and worship. We are to think about the words we are singing or hearing sung. It is about much more than just notes and pitches.
2. When we pray together, we join together as one body and lift our praises and petitions to our Father.
3. When we come together and enjoy our time with one another that is fellowship. Fellowship is much more than just eating and ¡§goofing around¡¨. We are family. We are God¡¦s family and we need to spend time together encouraging one another, laughing together, crying together, learning together, worshipping God together; doing this all in love.
4. When we read or hear Scripture read, we are opening God¡¦s letter of love and instructions to us as His children.
5. When we open God¡¦s Word together and study His Word as it is proclaimed, the Holy Spirit convicts us, grows us, teaches us, and strengthens us so we can continue to go out into a lost and dark world with an excitement and love of Christ in us to lead the lost to salvation.
6. When we give of our offerings, we are worshipping God by giving Him a portion back of what He has given us. All we have comes from God.
7. When we observe a new believer being baptized we worship and praise God for what that picture means to us. That person is proclaiming to each of us as their new brothers and sisters in Christ that they have died and buried the old self and have been given new life through Jesus Christ. Baptism is one of two ordinances that we are to observe. The second is The Lord¡¦s Supper.
8. The Lord¡¦s Supper is also an important part of our worship. It is as important as preaching or singing. You may be thinking then why do we not have Lord¡¦s Supper every week? The Bible does not tell us how often we should take the Lord¡¦s Supper it just explains to us with what attitude we take the Lord¡¦s Supper with. We do not want it to become routine or ritualistic so therefore we do not observe The Lord¡¦s Supper every week, but there is nothing wrong with having it every week. The early Church would come together and eat a meal together weekly. This was a great celebration and time of fellowship. This meal was considered to be a ¡§Love Feast¡¨. During this time of eating the meal, The Lord¡¦s Supper would be observed in remembrance of what Jesus Christ did for us on the cross. They would then sing songs of praise and worship, read Scripture, and have preaching of the Word. Simply stated, they had a Worship Service.
Unfortunately, the Church in Corinth had many problems and we find Paul having to scold them for yet another very serious problem.