Summary: Is your faith in Jesus.. • or the church? or your profession of faith • or some prayer you prayed? • or in the good things you think you have done?
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
November 10th 2013
1 John 1:4; 5:13
LET'S TAKE A TEST
Intro: The early church had been birthed in power
• Grew like wildfire/Lord truly blessed/fledgling church.
• However, it wasn't many days until heresy began to creep into the church.
• One of the earliest perversions/Christianity to make an appearance was known as Gnosticism.
There were many versions/Gnosticism
• Primary areas/agreement was
• Knowledge---not/cross was/means to salvation.
Gnostics believed only through initiation into "special" knowledge they alone possessed could anyone hope to be saved.
• Also believed all matter was evil.
• Meant Jesus Christ did not really have/flesh/blood body.
• If matter was evil then Christ could not have had a physical body.
• It only appeared that He had died!
• Some did believe that Jesus died
• But/spirit/Christ left Him before the cross.
This, of course, eliminated/cross/resurrection as/basis/salvation.
• Since they believed all matter to be evil
• They did not believe in living holy lives.
• They believed the body could be allowed to do as it pleased since body and spirit were separate one from the other.
As teachings began to filter their way into/church
• some found their faith undermined
• They began to doubt their relationship with the Lord.
The Apostle John felt led offer assurance/his readers.
He wants them, and us, to know we can know/sure we are saved.
• Don’t have to live in doubt.
• Many do, does not have to be that way.
To aid us in knowing for sure/saved or not,
• John gives/simple test they can take’
• Test/determine where they stand/Lord.
• Like/achievement tests/school.
• Tests/broken down/sections/revealed where we stood in relation to our peer group.
John's test reveals where/person stands/regard/matter/salvation.
• John’s/simple test, broken down/five sections.
• Let’s take test together this morning.
• Not need # two pencil/All you will need/honest heart.
• Take/test/see where you stand
• If corrections need to be made, they will be allowed.
• Let's examine/sections/John's test/our own hearts
• Let's take a test!
I. THE COMMANDMENT SECTION
A. 1 John 2:3-6
• Simply stated/person who/saved will have a desire to walk in obedience/revealed will/Lord.
• Same standard applied/Jesus Himself/John 14:15…
B. 1 John 4:6, We are from God, and whoever knows God….
C. 1 John 5:3
• Saved/experience a joy in their heart when they receive commandments/Lord.
• God's demands will not be "grievous" to them
• They will be a pleasure and a delight to the soul!
• Psa. 1:1-3
D. Is there something within you/wants to do the will of God?
• You may not do it completely or perfectly
• there/pull within you/makes you want to do/God wants?