Summary: Think about God’s Wisdom
Let’s Think About God’s Wisdom
A. Use the illustration of the ministry of Jonah. His message to Nineveh was negative. However, he faithfully proclaimed his God-given message and had great results. In some way God worked through that message.
B. We are being taught that God works through His Word. That must be our message.
I. The Message Paul Preached (vv. 1-8).
A. Paul did not depend on eloquence or his own wisdom. This is made clear in verses 1, 3 and 4.
B. His message was Christ and the cross (v. 2).
C. Consider the meaning of some of his words in this passage.
1. Weakness—this can mean “simplicity” (v. 3). Fear means that he was anxious to perform a duty, he trembled.
2. Demonstration of the Spirit’s Power—God caused something supernatural to happen when the message was preached (v. 4).
D. The message of the Savior has always been in God’s plan (vv. 7, 8).
E. God’s secret wisdom—this message is the wisdom of God (v. 7).
II. The Work of the Holy Spirit (vv. 9-10).
A. Verses 9 and 10 are often applied to Heaven. Heaven is wonderful, but that is not what Paul is talking about.
1. No one could comprehend what God would bring about through Christ and his cross.
C. God’s wisdom is revealed by God’s Spirit.
III. The Condition of the Human Race (vv. 11-16).
A. You are the only one that really knows your mind. The Spirit is the one who knows the mind of God (v. 11).
B. The Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Scriptures give us the thinking of God.
C. The Holy Spirit works through the Scripture. He indwells the Christian. It is all supernatural.
D. Verse 14 speaks of “the man without the Spirit.”
1. This is the person who sees nothing beyond this present physical life.
2. Spiritual things seem foolish to a person like this.
E. Verse 15 speaks of the “spiritual man.”
1. The true Christian is dependent on God and does not seek the approval of the world.
2. Verse 16 teaches that the Christian has “the mind of Christ.”
a. This doesn’t mean that we know everything.
b. It means we look at life through the teaching of Jesus.
F. Faith in Christ will come through the wisdom of God.
There are two groups of people. The world is made up of those without the Spirit and those who are spiritual.
Study 2 Chronicles, chapters 10, 11 and 12. Tell the story of Rehoboam pointedly and briefly. Emphasize 2 Chronicles 12:14 (quickview) , “He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the Lord.”