Summary: We must never forget what God has done for America and what He is doing to America and realize what He will do to America.
Liberty and Justice for All
Intro: One of the main things that America stands for is “Liberty and Justice for all.” We must never forget what God has done in the past for America. We must have our eyes opened to see what God is doing for America in the present. Then we must realize what God will do to America in the future.
I. WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR AMERICA. 2 things:
A. God birthed America. We sing, “My County Tis of Thee”
1. First colonies – Jamestown, Va. First community bldg was a church. Only bldg with wall still standing.
2. Puritans first act Plymouth Rock = knell, praise and dedicate new colony.
3. Roger Williams (Bapt. Minister) est. Rhode Island.
4. Lord Baltimore held Cath. Mass in estab. Maryland.
5. William Penn (Quaker) est. Penn, NY, DEL, Conn, NC, SC, Georgia. Ill. When you read their writings you see no doubt that God birthed America.
6. Will Penn in writing govt policies for Penn made sure “all treasurers, judges, and all elected officicials had to profess faith in JC.”
Ill. Read marked portions of David Brewers speech.
7. Constitution ends “in the year of our Lord.”
8. Nations motto: “In God we trust”
9. Pledge “One nation under God”
10. Our laws based on 10 commandments and Bible. Supreme Court bldg built 1935 – carved on front Moses and Ten Commandments. House Representatives across speakers seat – sculpture of Moses. God birthed America but
B. God has blessed America. – American history tons stories of God’s miraculous intervention. Most history books written by humanists who deliberately keep true facts out of textbooks. Ill. British commander Howe moving 30,000 Veteran British soldiers to take NW. Gen. George Washington only had 18,000 inexperienced troops. British troops outflanked Washington. Washington lost 1000 men and 2 top Generals. Washington troops discouraged. W/O any reason British halted their troops. Had they kept on pressing in they would have destroyed Washington and troops. Yet still they were trapped on Long Island. Only route of escape was treacherous East river. Weather very bad and seemed impossible to cross. Washington called for a prayer meeting to ask for God’s guidance and help. Decided to attempt to cross river. Storming, then suddenly 11 pm wind died and rain stopped. River was as smooth as glass. Started crossing and gently breeze came up behind them to push them along. Even with this miracle still would be impossible to get all troops across to Manhattan Island before daybreak. Just before daybreak, thick fog draped over them and hiding them from British troops. When fogged lifted British commander Howe was shocked. Washington troops had escaped. Washington and men recognized God’s blessings on America.
C. What about more recent Desert Storm? Only answers for so few casualties were God answered prayers of people. More were killed in crimes here in US than during Desert Storm.
D. Don’t take our freedom for granted. We have not all paid the same price. Ill. Allen Star of Arkansas erected monument to the 241 servicemen killed in bombing of Marine headquarters in Lebanon. With $2000 and used bricks built 8X4 ft monument with bronze plaque that says, “Lest we forget the peace has a price.”