Summary: You can't live without blood, nor can you live without the work of the blood of Christ in your life
Leviticus 17:11 (AV)
11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: …..
Leviticus 17:14 (AV)
14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.
- Bloodletting used to treat illness for almost 2,000 yr.
A British medical text recommended bloodletting for acne, asthma, cancer, cholera, coma, convulsions, diabetes, epilepsy, gangrene, gout, herpes, indigestion, insanity, jaundice, leprosy,
plague, pneumonia, scurvy, smallpox, stroke, tetanus, tuberculosis, and for some one hundred other diseases
Before amputation, it was customary to remove a quantity of blood
equal to the amount believed to circulate in the limb that was to be removed
George Washington asked to be bled heavily after he developed a
throat infection from weather exposure. Within a ten hour period, a total of 124-126 ounces (3.75 liters) of blood was withdrawn prior to his death from a throat infection in 1799
- Bloodletting used to be carried out by barbers
- Red strip – blood being removed
- Blue strip the veins
- White strip tourniquet
- Pole squeezed by the patient to make the veins stand out
Originally, these bandages were hung on the pole to dry after washing. As the bandages blew in the wind, they would twist together to form the spiral pattern similar to the stripes in the modern day barber pole.
- Blood moves, to all parts of the body
- It brings life & removes waste .
- The heart beats 72x per minute & moves about 1.3 gallons (5 Liters)
- If it stops moving you die
- Life is in the blood.
- You can’t live without the blood.
What the blood of Jesus does.
I. His Blood Removes Waste
- Dirt causes disease
- We need to be clean.
1 John 1:7 (AV)
…. the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
II. His Blood Declares Us Right
Romans 5:9 (AV)
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
- Justified means cleared from any charges or guilt.
- I am guilty! I am a sinner.
- Why do I need to be cleared of any charges?
III. His Blood Redeems Us
Ephesians 1:7 (AV)
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
- Redeem means to buy something back that has been lost.
- I was lost in sin
- Jesus paid the penalty so I can get out of bondage.
IV. His Blood Gives Us Peace
- We have been at war with God
Colossians 1:20 (AV)
20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
- We are in relationship with Him now!
V. His Blood Sets Us Apart
Hebrews 13:12 (AV)
12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.
Sanctification means to set apart for God or to be holy.
VI. His Blood Gives Us Victory
Revelation 12:11 (AV)
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
Romans 8:37 (AV)
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
- Blood is made up of four components: Erythrocytes, Leucocytes, Platelets, Antibodies.
Erythrocytes (Red Blood Cells)
Erythrocytes are red blood cells that oxygenated the body for energy and bring nutrients.
- They remove waste in the blood stream keeping it clean.
- Jesus blood gives me life and keeps me clean.
- Jn 1:4 – In Him was life and the life was the light of men
- 1 Jn 5:11 – And this is the record that God has given us eternal life…
Leucocytes (White Blood Cells)
- They fight infections are the defense mechanism part of the blood.
- Jesus died in the battle for my life.
- His blood destroyed the disease of sin
- Ro 6:6 – Knowing this that our old man is crucified with him….
- They help the clotting process by sticking to the lining of blood vessels. - They are smaller than red or white blood cells.
- Platelets are made in the bone marrow and survive in the circulatory system
- 2 Co. 10:4-5 – For the weapons of our warfare….
- Eph . 6:10-18 – Finally my brethren be strong in the Lorrd….