Summary: This is the first message in our Summer Sermon Series called "Life is Better at the Beach". In this series we will be talking about relaxing and cooperating with God concerning His purpose for our lives.
I. Start your day right so you can finish well
Lamentations 3:22-23 (AMP)
22 It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.
Isaiah 33:2 (AMP) O Lord, be gracious to us; we have waited [expectantly] for You. Be the arm [of Your servants—their strength and defense] every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble.
A. On vacation by the beach we wake up pretty much stress free…
1. No alarm clocks
2. No crazy agenda’s
3. The sounds of the waves…
B. God’s Word says that God’s tender mercies are new every morning and that His compassions fail not.
1. Every morning, at the beginning of our day, God says that he will be our strength and defense all day long.
C. Develop the habit of living grateful.
1. Learn to celebrate the little things like lemonade and peanut butter sandwiches…
Colossians 3:15 (AMP) And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].
D. How we start our day many times determines the kind of day that we have.
1. Choose Joy, Wake Up Smiling, Begin Thankful
2. Make a conscious effort to deal with with the more strenuous items later in the morning or early afternoon.
II. Bare feet… Ocean Retreat (Don’t live life to impress…)
¥ 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIrV) But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider how handsome or tall he is. I have not chosen him. I do not look at the things people look at. Man looks at how someone appears on the outside. But I look at what is in the heart."
A. When we are at the beach our hair gets messed up, our clothes get sand in them and wrinkle, we sweat and generally just kinda let ourselves go. Even shoes are optional…
1. I understand needing to have things together but it’s ok to let the laundry pile up every now and then! A couple of dirty dishes in the sink occasionally doesn't mean you’re a bad housekeeper! (Don’t be a slob…)
2. Just Chill…
B. We try to hard to impress…
1. Dating… People go places they can’t afford to impress people with a lifestyle they can’t afford…
2. People live in houses they can’t afford to impress people who are trying to impress them by living in a house “they” can’t afford. (they drive cars they can’t afford, take vacations they cant afford…)
3. Pride is Costly… Just Chill
C. When we go without shoes our feet get dirty. The sand from the beach needs to be washed off before we re-enter our vacation residence.
1. I want to encourage you today to examine your life and remove some of the unnecessary clutter.
2. We can do this through developing a servants heart and mindset. (Jesus was the Son of God and He still washed the disciples feet…) - John 13:3-5
III. Quiet time belongs to you and God! (Sitting, Soaking, renewing)