Summary: Today we continue our Summer Sermon Series on “Life is Better at the Beach”. There is so much to learn from the beach. God wants us to be effective. This means we need to live life strategically.
I. Riding the Waves (Adjusting to the “motion of God” in our lives)
Romans 8:6 KJV - For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Matthew 16:24 KJV - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
A. There are three main forces that create waves
1. Undercurrents (movement that we cannot see with the naked eye - expound)
2. Wind (movement that we cannot see but many times hear - expound)
3. Man made objects (boats)
B. We can’t stop a wave… we have to adjust to it
1. Some of us need to quit fighting God concerning His direction and purpose for our lives! (life is not about fighting the wind it’s about adjusting our sails)
2. Flowing with God brings supernatural favor and a sense of peace to our lives. (His ways are not our ways…)
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
C. Riding waves take practice
1. Waves will carry you… God will carry you (Cast not away your confidence which has great recompense of reward)
Hebrews 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
2. It takes boldness to ride your first wave.
II. Just Breathe
A. Donna and I were catching up on episodes of Alaskan Bush People last night and three of the children were heading back to Browntown. On the way there one of the boys said to his sisters, “Can you smell the fresh air?
1. God is the one who gave us “Fresh Air”.
2. Breathing in the fresh air helps us relax and alleviates stress.
3. The next time you feel overwhelmed… Just Breathe!
B. Psalms 116:2 NLT
Because He bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath.
1. It’s easier to pray when we know God is listening and… we know God is listening when we pray! (God hears us when we pray)
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
C. Just Breathe
1. When the storms of life are raging… Just Breathe!
2. When life feels like it is suffocating you… Just Breathe!
3. Breath in God’s Peace… Breath out life’s stress…
4. Breath in in God’s Presence… Breath out life’s loneliness…
III. Hand me a Hammock please!
A. If you DON’T snooze… you loose!
1. God did not create us for just work, He also created us for rest!
B. God did not create us to do life alone but there are times when we need our alone time.
1. Prepare for rest… remove distractions
¥ turn off your phone
¥ no kind of social media
¥ let the emails go for a few hours
¥ don’t invite your friends
¥ go somewhere where you won’t be disturbed and just rest
2. Create a rhythm of working then resting (6 days we labor the seventh we rest)
Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.
- Work extra hard during the week so you can completely rest on your off day!
C. Advantages of Rest
1. Rest makes us more alert, improves our mood and reduces fatigue
2. Rest revitalizes the soul
3. Rest helps us hear God better
Todays message has largely been about surrendering our lives to the control of God. This begins with giving our lives to the Lord.
Give salvation altar call (Be “old school" enough to call them forward for prayer)