Summary: A personal relationship with my very own Shepherd.
“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want” (v. 1).
1. My relationship is personal, “my shepherd.”
2. My relationship is continuous now. Not “was” or “shall be.”
3. Not (Elohim) Creator God, i.e., my strength nor (Adonai) Master, to be obeyed. But He is the great “I Am,” the covenant keeping One.
4. Not “a” or “the” Shepherd, but my very own Shepherd.
5. The word “is” means right here and right now.
The covenant keeping Jehovah-Lord
6. Just as a shepherd lives with sheep to protect, feed, guide, heal, and nurture, so my Lord is with me.
7. I must make a determination to not “want” because the Lord is with me.
“He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters” (v. 2)
8. God knows what is good for me (green pastures) and leads me there.
9. God motivates me to will/choose His food of green pastures.
10. Still waters are (a) peaceful, (b) easy to drink, (c) restore strength (d) enjoyable.
11. The word “besides” reminds me I can’t stay in enjoyable places, because life moves on; so must I.
“He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake” (v. 3)
12. God restores my soul by ___________________________.
13. I can find right paths if I follow my Shepherd. He has a plan for my life, and if I miss it, I follow wrong paths.
14. God puts His name on me, and others know it. So I must find right paths for His name is advertised on me.
Finding the Right Path
a. There is a “right path” for you.
Someone else’s “right path” is probably a wrong path.
b. There is a “right path” today.
Yesterday’s “right path” may be today’s wrong path.
c. There is a “right path” tomorrow.
It’s hard to find tomorrow’s “right path” if you are on the wrong path today.
d. Are you on the right path now?
“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (v. 4).
15. Shadows are frightening, so remember “You are with me.”
16. No matter where I am going, there are difficulties and threats before I reach life’s destinations.
17. God has a rod to correct me, and a staff to protect and rescue me.
18. When I walk through death’s valley, Jesus is on the other side preparing me a banquet.
Why Darkness Scares Us
a. We are afraid of the unknown.
b. Darkness covers the evil of evil people (John 3:19).
c. We stumble or fall.
d. We remember.
e. Darkness is Satan’s kingdom.
“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over” (v. 5).
19. God has food (strength and satisfaction) the world will never enjoy.
20. Whenever I am hurt, God can heal me with His oil.
21. Abundance, God fills my life’s cup to overflowing.
What Foods Do We Like?
a. Fresh. Preparest.
b. Ready. Table.
c. Personal. For me.
d. Celebrate with others.
e. Good. A good God prepares good food.
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (v. 6).
22. The Shepherd has two sheep dogs to keep me in the flock. Goodness prevents us from straying. Mercy forgives us when He brings us back.
23. Not just occasionally, or once or twice, God’s sheep dogs pursue me all the days of my life.
24. I won’t sleep on the ground; God has a house for me.
Coming Lessons in This Series
Lesson 4: Isaiah 53
Lesson 5: John 3
Lesson 6: I Cor. 13
Lesson 7: John 14:1-6
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.