Summary: We must be born again because there is no other way to God.
“There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him” (vv. 1-2).
1. Whether you are rich or poor, you must and you can be born again.
2. The secret to life is to come to Jesus.
3. We must come no matter what our circumstances; (a) night meant embarrassment, (b) night for long conversation.
4. Nicodemus used flattery, but Jesus sees through our defenses and pretenses.
“Jesus answered and said to him, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.’ Nicodemus said to Him, ‘How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?’” (vv. 3-4).
5. Jesus tells us the absolute truth. Verily, verily means, “read my lips.”
6. Jesus doesn’t want our resolutions or reformations; He wants to give us new life.
7. We must see God’s kingdom before we enter God’s kingdom. Seeing is (a) understanding, (b) desiring, (c) direction, (d) enjoying.
8. First birth gives physical life, second birth gave spiritual (God’s) life.
9. No matter how we try we can’t get younger and live this life again.
“Jesus answered, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit’” (vv. 5-6).
10. There are two births: water is first birth, and spirit is second birth.
11. Jesus said, “Except” because there are no exceptions to His plan of salvation.
12. The two worlds, i.e., flesh and Spirit do not co-mingle, except in the born-again experience. Both body and soul will live forever with God.
“Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit” (vv. 7-8).
13. We should not be surprised that God wants a second birth.
14. Imperative. We must be born again because there is no other way to God.
15. The new birth like the wind is unseen, but just as we see the results of wind, so we will see the results of a new nature.
16. When we are born again, we receive (a) a new nature, (b) that is contrary to our old nature, (c) new desires, (d) eternal life, (e) new relationships.
17. Jesus has four titles, (a) “Son of Man” humanity, (b) “only Begotten Son” virgin birth, (c) “His Son” relationship to the Father, (d) “Son of God” deity.
18. The basis of the new birth is Jesus being lifted up in death (v. 14).
19. The focus is God loved the world (v. 16).
20. The entrance is belief, “Whosoever believes” (v. 16).
21. The alternative, “Shall not perish.”
22. The death of Jesus didn’t condemn the world, they were already condemned (v. 17).
23. The positive outlook, “might be saved” (v. 17).
24. Why should people do something now? “Condemned already.”
Coming Lessons in This Series
Lesson 6: I Cor. 13
Lesson 7: John 14:1-6
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com