Summary: THE WORD OF GOD LIGHTS OUR PATHWAYS ON THE ROAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
THE WORD OF GOD LIGHTS OUR PATHWAYS
ON THE ROAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
THEME OF PSALM 119: "LIGHTED PATHWAYS"
MEDITATIONS ON THE PRACTICAL VALUE OF THE WORD OF GOD
I. (:105) THESIS: "THY WORD IS A LAMP TO MY FEET, AND A LIGHT TO MY PATH."
Contrast of Light vs. Darkness very important throughout Scriptures
"God is Light"
We lose our bearings when we stray from the Word of God
God’s Word provides practical direction in the path of obedience
II. (:106) RIGHTEOUSNESS MOTIVATES OUR COMMITMENT TO OBEDIENCE
"I have sworn, and I will confirm it, That I will keep Thy righteous ordinances."
A. Level of our Commitment -- How committed are you to obedience?
1. "I have sworn"
2. "I will confirm it "
3. "I will keep"
B. Value of God’s Commands -- How righteous are they?
III. (:107-110) AFFLICTION THREATENS OUR PESEVERANCE IN OBEDIENCE
A. Intensity of the Affliction
1. Its Depth -- "I am exceedingly afflicted"
2. Its Duration -- "My life is continually in my hand"
3. Its Danger -- "The wicked have laid a snare for me"
B. Passion for God’s Word
1. Its Power to Revive -- "Revive me, O Lord, according to Thy word"
2. Its Helpfulness to Instruct -- "teach me Thine ordinances"
C. Attitude of Thankfulness -- "O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord"
D. Perseverance in Obedience
1. Remaining focused -- "Yet I do not forget Thy law"
2. Remaining on track -- "Yet I have not gone astray from Thy precepts"
IV. (:111-112) THE ROAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS IS THE ROAD TO ETERNITY
A. Righteousness is Our Eternal Joy
"I have inherited Thy testimonies forever, For they are the joy of my heart"
B. Righteousness is Our Eternal Pursuit
"I have inclined my heart to perform Thy statutes Forever, even to the end"
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Compare how difficult it is to stumble around in the dark in our house which is so familiar to us. How utterly foolish it would be to venture out into the unknown without the benefit of the light the Lord freely offers!
2) Are we committed to keeping God’s Word even when it pains us? Are we willing to be afflicted for the sake of obedience to our biblical convictions?
3) What are some of the ways the Wicked One or his cronies (the wicked) have tried to trip you up along your path? What alerted you to the presence of traps and pitfalls? How were you able to protect yourself?
4) Have we thought of God’s testimonies as our permanent, precious inheritance?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)