Summary: 2nd Coming. (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 verses 1-12.
• IKEA- Named after the founder of the company; and a place in Sweden;
• Tesco is similar named after TES – T.E.Stockwell & Co – Jack Cohen.
• LASER –
• Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
• SCUBA – Self-Contained Under water Breathing Apparatus;
• Or: Swimmer Comes Up Barely Alive!
• TARDIS –
• Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space.
• IBM – International Business Machines Corporation
• Or: I Blame Microsoft
• Good old BOGOF – beloved of those who love a bargain;
• Buy One Get One Free
• NIMBY – is a favorite of those protesting against a new road, or a mobile phone receiver;
• Not In My Back Yard.
• FOBIO –
• Frequently Outwitted By Inanimate Objects.
Question: Why I am I giving you this riveting information?
• There are many terms and expressions in the Bible;;
• That you may or may-not be familiar with the meaning behind it
• e.g. ‘Eschatology’
• e.g. ‘Rapture’.
• e.g. ‘Armageddon’
• e.g. ‘Tribulation,’
• e.g. the expression in verse 2: ‘the Day of the Lord’:
(1). The day of Lord (vs 1-2):
“Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the nigh
OLD TESTAMENT: ‘the Day of the Lord’:
• The topic ‘the Day of the Lord’ is a frequent Old Testament teaching.
• It is mentioned explicitly at least nineteen times in eight Old Testament books.
• The expression only occurs in the books of the Prophets;
• Obadiah, Joel, Amos, Isaiah, Zephaniah, Ezekiel, Zechariah and Malachi.
• To the Old Testament Jew all time was divided into two ages;
• There was the present age which was wholly and incurably bad.
• Then there was the age to come which would be the golden age of God.
• In between there was the ‘Day of the Lord’.
• This was often viewed as a terrible day;
• It would be a day in which one world was shattered and another was born!
• Many of the most terrifying Old Testament pictures of judgement;
• Are referred to by the term ‘the Day of the Lord’.
NEW TESTAMENT: ‘the Day of the Lord’:
• The topic ‘the Day of the Lord’;
• Is mentioned four times in the New Testament.
• (first): Peter mentions it in his very first sermon on the day of Pentecost.
• (Acts chapter 2 verse 20).
• (second & third): Apostle Paul mentions it twice in his letters to the Thessalonians:
• 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 verse 2 & 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 verse 2)
• (fourth): The apostle Peter mentions it in his second letter;
• 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 10.
Note: A couple of helpful things to note:
• Although it is called “The Day of the Lord”: