Summary: Simple sermon outline based on James chapter 1.
Listening and Doing- Part two of a two part series.
I. Greetings and reminder of where we were last week
A. Last week we cover three different ideas of the “Art of Communication”
1. quick to listen
2. slow to speak
3. slow to anger
B. Last week we even looked a little at the author
1. Jesus brother
2. A letter written to the twelve tribes
II. This week as we continue we notice a few other things about James
A. First of all look at his greeting, “James a servant of God...”
1. If you remember this was Christ flesh and blood brother. Why would he call himself
a servant. He could of used his authority as Christ brother.
a. Humbleness- He wanted nothing but to serve.
B. He doesn’t begin his book by arguing Christ’s deity.
1. Have you ever noticed the author’s of certain books who want to convince their
audience that Christ is God come to Earth.
a. There is Acts, Romans, I and II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I and II Thessalonians, I and II Timothy,
Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, I and II Peter, I and II and III John, and Rev.
2. Every book I found in the New Testament mentions directly or gives a reference
to Jesus’ deity, his blood atonement, or His resurrection.
C. James was one of the one’s who didn’t believe His brother at first. “Look I saw you sneak the last piece of bread, you can’t be God!”
1. But after his salvation these things were not an issue He knew them.
2. His own personal emphasis shaped this book as well. He was focused on good works.
III. “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”
A. If something is filthy or evil you get rid of it.
1. That’s easy but how?
2. We live in a culture that corrupts all of us. How do we tell what is filthy or evil.
a. Washing clothes- stains in the dark. Can’t tell if their out until you get them in the light.
b. My own personal light- If it interferes with you emotionally, spiritually, or physically in a bad way...Then it’s probably not a good thing.
B. II Peter 1: 3-9
IV. White Men Can’t Jump-Story from in the car talking about Listening and Hearing Jimmy
A. It’s fine to listen if you do what it says that’s hearing it.
V. James wraps this up with some simple ideas on how we can draw closer to Christlikeness as Peter calls it.
A. Keep a tight rein on his tongue
B. Look after orphans and widows
C. Keep yourself from being polluted by the world.