Summary: The disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray. Jesus gives the pattern on how to pray which in fact a pattern on how to live so that our lives become a life of prayer to God.
Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
THEME: LIVING A LIFE OF PRAYER
The Lord’s Prayer can also be likened to a letter and it is indeed a Note to God. The following is the suggested outline.
THE BRIEF OUTLINE
I. THE GREETING
1. The address: Our Father
2. The location: which art in heaven
II. THE BODY
1. Petition for the glory of God
• Hallowed be thy name
• Thy kingdom come
• Thy will be done
2. Petition for 3 essential needs of man:
• Give us this day our daily bread (The need of the present) - to the Father the sustainer of life
• Forgive us our debts ( the need of the past) – to the Son the redeemer of mankind
• Lead us not into temptation (the need of the Future) to the Holy Spirit the guide of our way
III. THE CONCLUSION
1. By full confidence – For thine is the Kingdom
2. By divine dependence – and the power
3. By humble praise – and the glory
4. By heavenly seal - Amen
The disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray. Jesus gives the pattern on how to pray which in fact a pattern on how to live so that our lives become a life of prayer to God.
THE DETAILED DISCUSSIONS:
I. He teaches us how to share – “Our”
II. He teaches us to act like His children – “Father”
III. He teaches us the right investment – “Who art in Heaven”
IV. He teaches us holiness – “hallowed by thy name”
V. He teaches us loyalty – “Thy kingdom come”
VI. He teaches us obedience – “Thy will be done”
VII. He teaches us how to live – “in earth as it is in Heaven”
VIII. He teaches us how to trust – “give us this day our daily bread”
IX. He teaches us forgiveness – “forgive us our debts”
X. He teaches us compassion – “as we forgive our debtors”
XI. He teaches us how to walk “lead us not into temptation”
XII. He teaches us spiritual warfare – deliver us from evil”
XIII. He teaches us submission “Thine is the Kingdom”
XIV. He teaches us respect – “the power”
XV. He teaches us worship “the glory”
XVI. He teaches us right perspective “forever”
XVII. He teaches us faith “Amen”
Think about it….
• How can we say; "our" if we are living only for ourselves?
• How can we say; "Father" if we don’t try to act like His child?
• How can we say;” Who art in Heaven" if we are laying up no treasure there?
• How can we say; "hallowed be Thy Name" if we are not striving for holiness?