Summary: Learning key spiritual principles that will protect us against and preserve us in the storms of life.
LIVING ABOVE OUR STORMS
Part 2: Disaster Readiness - Are We Prepared?
Seven Observations About Storms:
1. Storms are happening everywhere all over the earth.
All of us experience storms in life.
Someone somewhere is experiencing a storm of some sort even now!
2. Storms are a part of life.
No one is exempt from storms, (Even God-loving, God-fearing, God’s favorite Christians are not exempt!).
3. Storms can come and will come to us in all shapes and sizes.
Pacific Hurricanes or Typhoons are classified by the speed and intensity of the wind. It starts with a Category 1 type which has winds between 74 to 95 miles an hour and progresses up to a Category 5 type which is 156 miles an hour and over.
What size and shape hurricanes have you gone through?
4. Storms can either make us or break us, depending on how we
Trials, tragedies, and misfortunes can either be a stepping stone or a stumbling block for us depending on our heart’s response.
5. Storms expose areas of weakness or unpreparedness in our lives.
Trials, tragedies, and misfortunes expose our character to surface strength or weakness in our character. It is not when everything is going well that our true character is revealed but it is when things go wrong.
6. Storms can bring good to us, if we have the right attitude and if we prepare ourselves rightly.
7. Disaster can be overcome, if we prepare.
"Remember, Noah built the ark before it rained!"
What Is A Spiritual Storm?
Definition: A spiritual storm is a trial, tragedy, or misfortune.
The effects of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, were shattering and long-lasting. By August 31, 2005, Eighty percent of New Orleans was flooded with some parts of the city under 15 feet of water. Though ninety percent of southeast Louisiana residents were successfully evacuated, many who remained in their homes had to swim for their lives, wade through deep water, or remained trapped in their attics, or on their rooftops.
Some of the things that happened in Hurricane Katrina are prime lessons that teach us spiritual truths.
Disaster Readiness: Are We Prepared?
Protecting Ourselves In And Against Spiritual Storms
(Parallel Spiritual Truths from the Effects of Hurricane Katrina):
1 Storm Effect #1: Communication Failure
Coordination of rescue efforts were made difficult by the disruption of the communications infrastructure. Many telephones, including most cell phones, and Internet access were not working due to line breaks, destruction of base stations, or power failures.
Spiritual Discipline #1: Prayer
The first and most important line of protection in surviving a spiritual storm is building and maintaining a strong prayer life which is your primary communication line with the LORD.
Four Types of Prayer:
1) The Early Morning Prayer Time (Personal Secret Place)
2) The Hour of Prayer (Corporate Prayer In the Temple)
3) The House Group Prayer (In Homes)
4) The Attitude of Prayer (24/7 Heart Prayer Hotline)