Summary: This is the 2nd sermon in the series "Life Challenges". This sermon is about being able to keep serving God even when you don’t feel like it.
Sunday Evening November 4, 2001 Bel Aire Baptist Church, Hobbs, NM
Series: Life’s Challenges [#2]
LIVING IN PAIN
For some of us, like myself, when we are sick or injured we carry on about for days and weeks and months; but there are people in this church that have to live with pain all of the time. I always remember asking Boyd if he feels good and he always laughs and says, “I haven’t felt good in 10 year.”
Turn with me to Job 2.
A. Satan’s Location
1. Roaming the earth.
2. Looking for trouble.
B. Satan’s Attack
1. On Job’s body.
2. On Job’s patience.
C. Satan’s Damage
1. Sores all over Job’s body.
2. Job’s wife began to doubt him.
1. He scraped these sores.
2. He could not find relief from the pain and itching.
1. What was everyone going to think?
2. Many people would assume that Job had sinned against God.
C. Satan’s Damage
1. Job was still standing faithfully.
2. Job basically stated, “Who am I to question God?”
A. His Wife
1. Job did not give in like his wife told him to.
2. Job did not take the easy way out.
B. His Friends
1. Job did not give in when he saw his friends walking up.
2. The emotions of the situation did not change Job.
C. His God
1. Job realizes that God is still in control.
2. Job was being consistent. He was not trying to be a godly man on good days, but on bad days acting like everyone else.
I know when I am sick and hurting that I make everyone around me suffer. I use that as my reason for being a jerk and whining around as if I may die at any moment. I hate to get out of bed so bad that almost every morning when I wake up, I say; “I sure don’t feel very good this morning.”
How do you handle sickness and pain?
Where do you turn when you are hurting and it seems no one is on your side? Don’t forget that even if no one else cares about you, God always loves you!
God is in control and if you will let Him be in control of your life, He will guide you down the path of righteousness, even if you don’t feel well.