Summary: How to live in a marriage relationship
TITLE: Living in Relationship
TEXT: 1Peter 3:1-12
INTRO: A marriage counselor was talking to a wife who was having difficulties with her husband. The counselor said, “Maybe your problem is that you’ve been waking up grumpy in the morning.” “No,” she said. “I always let him sleep late!.”
It is difficult to find examples of good marriages in the Bible.
But here are a few:
-Adam & Eve before they sinned
-Abraham & Sarah before Hagar
-Solomon & his Shulamite bride before all his other women
-Mary & Joseph, and
-Aquila & Priscilla
In the previous chapter, Peter talked about following Christ's example (1Pe 2:21) "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps. "
In our lesson today, he gives some practical counsel on how to follow Jesus' footsteps .
I. FOR THE WIVES (vs.1-6)
A. Her Lifestyle (vs.1-2)
1. Voluntary subjection, by an equal, not forced
2. The purpose is to bring her unbelieving husband to
Christ by the way she lives her life
3. It never means submission to abuse
# I have actually advised wives who were being abused to move out to a safe place.
B. Her Appearance (vs. 3-4)
1. What people see on the outside affects their estimation
of what's in your heart.
2. Real beauty comes from within
II. FOR THE HUSBANDS (v. 7)
-Peter uses the term "likewise" for both husband & wife. It means "in the same way" and it refers back to Christ's example in chapter 2.
B. His Behavior
The ESV makes it plain (1Pe 3:7 ESV) Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
1. Understand, she is a beautiful & delicate treasure
and treat her sol
2. Christian husbands & wives are both children of God
3. The way you treat your wife reveals who you are
4. If you don't honor your wife, your prayers will not be
III. FOR ALL BELIEVERS (vs. 8-12)
A. Being of One Mind
1. Differences of opinion should not divide us
2. Care about one another and help one another
3. A Christian should always be courteous
(Philippians 2:5-6 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
B. We are Different from the World
1. We must not harbor resentment
2 As Christ forgave us, we must forgive others
3. Evil words should never come from our mouths
4. We must avoid evil, but do what is good
5. Jesus is the "Prince of Peace" & His peace should characterize our lives.
C. God Sees & Knows What We Do
1. You can win an argument but lose your witness
2. God hears our prayers but He is against evil, whether its in the world or in our lives.
CONCL: We have to take personal responsibility for obeying God. We shouldn't expect others to change while we stay the same.