Summary: As Christians #1 We are living letters, not #2 letters of death but #3 letters of hope.
• Do you remember when people would write letters?
• Even though letter writing is still a good way of communication, I would say most people do not utilize it much anymore.
• People do still send cards to celebrate different occasions but how many people truly sit down and write letters today?
• I'm not talking about business letters but personal letters; letters that tell a story about someone's life.
• Today, email, texting, facebook messages have surpassed letter writing
• Those are much quicker forms of communication and you don't have to buy a stamp to put on them so it is no wonder why this form of communication has surpassed letter writing.
• Even though traditional letter writing isn't utilized that much anymore living letters still exist!
• In 2 Corinthians 3 Paul discusses living letters.
• As Christians #1 We are living letters, not #2 letters of death but #3 letters of hope.
We are Living Letters
• As I stated, writing personal letters is something that for the most part has gone by the wayside.
• However, people still write letters of recommendation or even cover letters for their resume.
• There were false teachers/apostles that had come to instruct the Corinthians and many had bought into their teachings.
• Paul refers to these false apostles previously in 2 Corinthians 2:17
• We see Paul go through this back and forth with the Corinthians correcting some of their behavior.
• When these false apostles showed up to Corinth they had brought along with them letters of recommendation.
• These letters of recommendation were used by early Christians to introduce themselves when they would enter a new town.
• We still use recommendations on resumes today as a means to get to know the person and their work that much more.
• Paul, however did not feel the need to use these letters of recommendation.
• He tells the Corinthians that you are our living letters!
• Look at v2 again
• What Paul is saying is that the Corinthians are the fruit of His ministry - His proof of being used as an Apostle by Jesus Christ.
• Why bring a letter when the proof is standing before you, living and breathing right before your very eyes!
• Did Paul change the Corinthians?
• Did Paul save them and transform them? No!
• However he was obedient to serve Jesus Christ and Christ did a mighty work through Paul.
• I wonder when people look at us, who proclaim to be Christians, I wonder what they read?
• Paul was saying that you could look at the Corinthians and read or see transformation through Jesus Christ.
• When people look at our lives can they tell that we have been transformed through salvation in Jesus Christ?
• Can they tell that He is now the Lord of our lives?
• Are you a Living Letter representing Jesus Christ?
Letters of Death
• Paul was preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ but there were false apostles in Corinth as well.