Summary: This message shows that miracles are still being performed in the name of Jesus.
Living On A Lads Lunch
John 6: 4-11
4)And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh
5)when Jesus lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Phillip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat.
6)And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do.
7) Phillip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that everyone of them may take a little
8)One of his disciples Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, saith unto him,
9)There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
10)And Jesus said, make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number of about five thousand.
11)And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
This is the Fourth of Seven miracles and he asks this question of Phillip as a test with full knowledge of what Phillip would say. Phillip answers the question from his own perspective which is Flesh and not from his Spirit which would be vision.
Out of the 5,000 men not including women and children there was one lad with five barley loves and two fish. Probably just enough to feed himself for a little while.
If you are going to follow the leader there are three things you should know about who you are following:
1) That You are connected
2) That You are conscience
3) That You are covered
The Disciples had been with Jesus on three different occasions as he performed miracles and should have known what he was capable of doing. Should have known that God can speak things into existence although they don’t exist.
(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
The disciples faced three tests because of the crowd that followed Jesus:
1) Feeding the multitude (John 6:1-14)Phillip thought the answer was money, but Andrew saw the answer to this great opportunity in a lad with a lunch.
When you face a seemingly unsolved problem, claim the promise of verse 6, give what you have to Jesus, and let him tell you what to do.
2) Leaving the multitude (John 6:15-21) This incident occured at the high point of our Lord’s popularity. The disciples (especially Judas) would have welcomed a kingdom, so Jesus sent them away into a storm. They went from popularity to peril, but they were safer in the storm than with the multitude; and Jesus came to them and met their needs (Isa 43:2)
3) Losing the multitude (John 6:22-71) People want the Lord to meet their physical needs but not their spiritual needs. The manna (Exod 16) came only to the Jews and sustained physical life, but Jesus came for the whole world and gives eternal life. Just as you take food into your body, do you take Christ into your life; and he becomes one with you. The disciples had opportunity to follow the crowd, but they remained with Jesus.
On Seven different occasions Jesus Performed miracles in the mist of his followers
1) Jesus changes water to wine - The disciples Believe- John 2: 1-12
2) Jesus heals the Nobleman’s Son-John 4: 43-54
3) Jesus heals the paralytic Man-John-5: 1-9
4) Jesus feeds 5,000-John 6: 1-14
5) Jesus walks on water-John 6: 15-21
6) Jesus Heals the blind man-John 9: 1-41
7) Jesus Raises Lazarus-John 11: 1-44
We are Living on a lads Lunch Because:
1) He was available
2) He was prepared
3) He was willing
If you are looking for a miracle you must have all three attributes.
1) You must be available
2) You must be prepared
3) You must be willing
Miracles are being performed daily and as they were then is as they are now they are not for the church body but for:
Lazarus Raised from the dead