Summary: How the "High Life" leads to the Low Life.
LIVING THE ‘HIGH LIFE’
June 24, 2009 Esther 1
1. Can You Name a Book of the Bible
a. God/Lord/Jehovah never appears?
b. Prayer/worship/sacrifice never mentioned?
c. Shortest BK in OT Obadiah – 1 Chap. 6xs God/Lord
a. Exile of Jews because of their sin – no winking
b. Why? 2 Chronicles 36:14-16 Moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen; and polluted the house of the LORD which he had hallowed in Jerusalem. 15 And the LORD God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers, rising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place: 16 But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against his people, till there was no remedy.
2. Might not hear His name or see His worship
a. rest assured that he is in control
b. while History does repeat – rolling to judgment
c. Joseph- Gen. 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
3. We are going to look at the Book Practically
a. What does it teach about life today?
b. How does that teaching effect me?
c. Will I receive what it teaches–in practice or warning?
1. LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY 1:1-3
1. Whims & Desires become our Decisions
2. Judges 17:6 In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
3. When every man does that which is right in his own eyes he will soon do evil in the eyes of God!
Adam Clarke’s Commentary
He was his own governor, and what he did he said was right; and, by his cunning and strength, defended his conduct. When a man’s own will, passions, and caprice, are to be made the rule of law, society is in a most perilous and ruinous state. Civil government is of God; and without it the earth must soon be desolated.
1. Question A-has-u-erus’ whims, decisions = death
2. One word - faithful friend – stopped bad decision
a. Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall
1. Purpose of the Banquet
a. Announce & gather support - attack on Greece
b. Greek Historian Herodotus reports
i. someone dared - advise against did not listen
ii. Defeated in 483 BC
c. Proverbs 24:6 For by wise counsel you shall make your war: and in multitude of counselors there is safety.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falls; for he hath not another to help him up.
2. LIFE OF ARROGANCE 1:4-6
A. Based on His Past
1. Grandfather - Cyrus – founder of dynasty
2. Father was Darius I – defeated Belshazzar
a. Babylon in a drunken profane banquet
b. quietly stopped river and entered under walls
3. King by birth not by distinction or wisdom
B. Based on His Present
1. Most powerful man on earth