Summary: This is a rewrite of a T. D. Jakes message of the same title. I just added the intro and the conclusion. Great message and inspiring for giving purpose to every person in your church!
LORD MAKE ME AN ANSWER
A. HUMOR: TUNNEL VISION
1. How many basketball fans do we have here this morning? Do any of you know who was the best free throw shooter in the world in 1994? Did he play for the NBA? NO!
2. According to Sports Illustrated, the guy’s name is Tom Amberry and he set the record back in 1993. Tom was a foot doctor.
3. In 1993 this foot doctor set the world record by making 2,750 free throws in a row over 12 hours. Can you imagine that 2,750 free throws in a row. Guess how old he was? 71!
4. He was in a gym in California with all kinds of things going on around him. A volleyball team running around the gym while he was doing this.
5. Sports Illustrated asks, “How did Tom Amberry set the world free throw record? Focus, Focus, Focus!” Tom says that I just stay in my routine of three bounces and focus.
6. Tom didn’t miss number 2751 by the way; they turned out the lights and closed the gym on him. Tom had tunnel vision, singular focus. [Horace Wimpey. Verified Googled “most consecutive free throw shots”]
7. He’s the foot doctor I’d want operating on me! [Ted St Martin surpassed him in 1996. But Amberry was hired by the Chicago Bulls to train their shooters!]
B. SIX KEY POINTS ABOUT VISION
1. Vision of God will always bring about divine transformation. Isaiah was transformed by his vision of God! Isa. 6:1. So was Saul of Tarsus!
2. Correct Vision of God will give you a correct picture of yourself. When the white-hot light of God shines in your soul, you’ll know the truth about yourself!
3. A vision will make you know where to stand and what to stand for. The sons of Issachar “knew the times and what Israel ought to do” and they promoted David for king. 1Chron. 12:32.
4. Vision is the major difference between Success and Mediocrity. Without a vision, we’ll either do nothing spiritually, or the world will pull us into its vortex. We must have a vision!
5. To every God-given Vision there is a divine provision. Abram, Joseph, Moses, David, etc.
6. Vision without action is daydream. Action without vision is Nightmare. You need to run with your vision. Habakkuk 2:2-3
1. God doesn’t just have a vision for some of us, but a vision for ALL of us! You say, “So what vision does God have for me personally?”
2. I’m glad that you asked! The answer is, the Lord wants you to begin seeing yourself and your life differently, as He sees you!
3. The title of this message is “Lord, Make Me An Answer.”
I. PRACTICAL EXAMPLES OF THIS IDEA
A. IN A MARRIAGE
1. Some of you may have a marriage that is strained. Marriages often require God’s insight to be successful.
2. Now, when you get married, you marry someone with baggage. In every marriage you have to deal with the other person’s baggage; you only get to choose what kind of baggage you’re going to have to deal with.
3. Some ladies are married to a man with a strong relationship with his mother. For him, his mother was an answer. He’s worried about caring for his mother.
4. If you (his wife) get opposed to his mother, he’ll see you as a problem. It will drive you two apart.