Summary: They will know we are Christians by the way we love each other, the way we treat others. As 1 John 3:18 says, show love with actions, not mere words.
They will know we are Christians by our love.”
I. Love for what? Others
A. They will know we are Christians by the way we love each other, the way we treat others. As 1 John 3:18 says, show love with actions, not mere words.
1. Why love each other, treating each other with compassion and kindness?
a. Colossians 3:12-16 ...put on a heart of compassion, kindness...
b. Love your neighbor as yourself--golden rule. Matt 12:31
c. We are the light of the world, (Matt 5:14-16)they look at us as if we were that light set on the hill. We are symbols of this church, Christianity. We are billboards for God. What are you selling?
2. What kind of things should we do? Examples.
a. To show love, be genuinly glad to see each other. Four times Paul mentions that we should greet each other with a holy kiss. This would be an example of being happy to be in the company of other Christians.
a. Good Samaritan, could’ve been harmed, busy, found time to show mercy... Luke 10:33
b. Giving of yourself:
11. Matt 5:40, they ask for your shirt, give your cloak too
22. Luke 21:1-4 Be willing to give, even as the widow
c. Merely works? Rev 20:12 says we will be judged by our works.
d. Go out and love the world... “For God so loved the world...” If God loves the world, so can we. Go help some unbelievers, show kindness and mercy to them, and just maybe they’ll want what you got.
II. Love for what? God
A. Part of your love for God is your devotion--or refusal to compromise your principles. After all, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”
1. Daniel 1:1-21 Daniel and friends refuse to be defiled by the king’s meat and eat veggies instead.
2. Daniel 6:10-24 Daniel refuses to quit praying, lion’s den
a. rewarded by king recognizing power of God, Daniel prospers
3. Daniel 4:10-30 Fiery furnace--didn’t compromise their values
a. rewarded by king (God)
III. Do your friends or co-workers know that you are a Christian? What do they see coming from you? Matt 7:16 You will know them by their fruits. They know your are ______ because of _________. Make your co-workers fill in those blanks about you.