Summary: This message provides a fresh view about what it means to love fellow believers as well as non-believers.
Romans 12:9-10 (MSG) 9-10 Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.
We are living in a self-centered world and some ungodly characteristics have entered into the body of Christ. I believe God is calling us to revisit what it means to love Him and to love one another. Paul encourages us to let love be at the center of who we are and what we do.
Observation 1: Let Love Be Your Motivation and Your Fuel!
Rom. 12:11-13 (MSG) 11-13 Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.
- Know your limits and your limitations by loving yourself!
- Learn how to balance your life as a believer without destroying your testimony.
- Stay alert! Don’t give into the influence of the culture by indulging in things that are convenient.
- Develop a no-quit attitude!
- Don’t let your love for God or your relationships wane because of life. Stay connected because we need each other!
Observation 2: Develop a New View Point About Conflict.
Rom. 12:14-16 (MSG) 14-16 Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down. Get along with each other; don’t be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don’t be the great somebody.
- Conflict is bound to occur, but it is how we handle it.
- Avoid profane thoughts in your mind!
- Have fun with your brothers and sisters without crossing the line. If it is a gray area, can God be glorified?
- Keep your triggers under control.
- Show empathy for each other and for unbelievers.
- You may be the first and only good representation of a Christian to an unbeliever. Practice being hospitable.
Rom. 12:17-19 (MSG) 17-19 Don’t hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody. Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it.”
- This passage relates to how we should interact with unbelievers. Paul is instructing the church to be ethical, use good sense and do right!
- There will be times when we don’t mix well with people who don’t share our values, but we should be the peacemakers!
- John 3:16 (KJV) 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.