Summary: Paul outlines the 10 characteristics of the "God kind of Love." Christian achievements are worthless without this love and it can only be gained by the indwelling nature of Christ. I utilized an outline by Adrian Rogers.
LOVE THAT’S OUT OF THIS WORLD
1 Cor. 13:1-13
1. A man was speeding down a Texas highway, feeling secure in a column of cars all traveling at the same speed. However, as they passed a speed trap, he got nailed with an infrared speed detector and was pulled over.
2. When the officer handed him the citation, the man asked, "Officer, I know I was speeding, but I don't think it's fair - there were plenty of other cars around me who were going just as fast, so why did I get the ticket?"
3. "Have you ever gone fishing where there were lots of fish?" the policeman asked. “Yeah."
4. The officer grinned and added, "Did you ever catch 'em all?"
1. If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. NIV1984.
1. This is a generation that talks a lot about love, but knows less about love than any generation since the time of Christ. It’s amazing how the word ‘love’ has been twisted today. People don’t understand what love is.
2. People think of love as an ocean of emotion and feeling, but love is not a simply a feeling. The Lord commands us to love and you can’t command a feeling.
3. That’s why people fall in and out of love, and write silly songs like, “Please release me let me go; I don’t love you anymore. Poor me, it’s not my fault, to stay together would be a crime!”
4. “Husbands, love your wives.” It’s a command and involves a choice and our conduct.
5. GREEK WORDS (English only has one word – so confusing)
a. EROS. This is romantic love, like a boy has for a girl. This love is just for one person, so you better pick the right one.
JOKE: Herbie said to Melinda, “Will you go out with me?”
Melinda, “No.” Herbie, “Is there someone else?” Melinda, “There’s got to be!”
b. PHILEO – “friendly love.” Philadelphia is the “City of Brotherly Love.” But that’s not what we’re looking at today.
c. AGAPE – “Godlike love.” It’s what the world needs today and will be how the world recognizes that we’re Christians.
6. The title of this message is “Love That’s Out Of This World.” First, let’s look at the fact that…
I. CHRISTIAN EFFORTS EMPTY WITHOUT LOVE (1-3)
A. OUR HEART & ACTIONS MUST BE CONSISTENT
1. Paul lists three of the most lofty Christian attainments:
a. Speaking languages of Heaven itself;
b. Operating in the deepest spiritual gifts of power and insight;
c. Dying as a martyr, burned at the stake for Christ.
2. Yet Paul says, “If you were to achieve these highest attainments, and yet they were not motivated by love for Jesus and for people, they would count for nothing in the sight of God.”
3. This is because God doesn’t look on the outward appearance, but at our hearts!
B. EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WHO DID THE RIGHT THING FOR THE WRONG MOTIVE
1. ANANIAS & SAPPHIRA. They gave a large sum of money to the church, but it was revealed they didn’t do it for the poor, but for the public praise it would bring them