Summary: This sermon talks about the real proof of genuine Christianity
LOVE: THE TEST
- Question: What is the mark of a Christian? What is the test that stands true in showing us that someone is a Christian?
- Is it church attendance? Wearing witness wear? Bumper stickers? Toting a 95 pound bible?
- What is the test that shows the world that we are Christians?
- Read passage / Pray
- Play song "Can they see God"
- The true test of Christianity is one thing that stands above all other things
- The true test is ---- LOVE
- This morning I want us to see that it is the test of
1. True Discipleship
2. Genuine Service
4. The New Life
5. Love to God Proven by Brotherly Love
- I want us to understand this morning that LOVE is an action word and our actions ought to speak volumes of who we are in Christ
- Turn Signals on cars…indicators of where we are going…direction signals
[TRANS] First we should see that love is the test of…
1. TRUE DISCIPLESHIP
- John 13:34-35, "A new commandment I give you: Love one another as I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciple if you love one another."
- John says that if you really are a follower…a disciple of Christ…one who practices the things of Christ…
- All men will surely know this…HOW? Your love for one another
[TRANS] Love is also the test of…
2. Geniune Service
- John 21:16, "Again Jesus said, Simon son of John, do you truly love Me?…Take care of my sheep."
- I do the things I do because I LOVE God…My service stems from my love
- James said in James Chapter 2 that our doing demonstrates our faith and that our faith without doing (works, service) is DEAD.
- Our Love will be demonstrated through our service…not just to God…but in serving others
[TRANS] Thirdly we see love is the test of our
- 1 Cor 13:1, "If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal"
- Saying I love you is easy…however acting upon those words is where real love begins
- Not only speaking it but acting upon it
- God spoke it…then acted upon His words
- Rom 5:8, "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
- Turn to 1 John 4:9-10
- God didn’t just say that He loves us but He put it in writing and hung it on a cross.
- Seeing what Jesus did on the cross for us should compel us to want to demonstrate to others this same love (1 John 4:11)
- Our speech should be displayed through our actions.
- Story of Man on 6th St in Austin (Pizza) & Women at Mardi Gras ($10)
- The most powerful speech you have for Christ will be spoken with actions
[TRANS] Fourth we see that love is the test that…
4. Demonstrates the Reality of the New Life
- 1 John 3:14, "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love REMAINS in death."
- The old life is a life of hate…life of death
- The new life should be exemplified in our love towards others
- John 13:35, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciple, if you have love for one another."
- One of the main attributes of the new life is my love for people that stems from my love for God.
- You cannot manifest it…it will be fake…it has to come from God alone!
- 1 John 4:7-8, "Dear friends, let us love one another because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God because God is love."
- I can only love people out of the abundance of love that I have from my new life in God
[TRANS] Lastly, we see our….
5. Love to God is Proven by Brotherly Love
- 1 John 4:20, "If anyone says, ’I love God’, yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen."
- It is easy love our brothers and sisters at times but what about when we disagree…see others wrongs…weakness’s
- Turn to 1 Cor 13:4 - 7
- Not only towards a brother but what about those that are our enemies…the unloveable…those who are different
- Matt 5:44, "But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you."