Summary: This sermon talks about the real proof of genuine Christianity
LOVE: THE TEST
- Question: What is the mark of a Christian? What is the test that stands true in showing us that someone is a Christian?
- Is it church attendance? Wearing witness wear? Bumper stickers? Toting a 95 pound bible?
- What is the test that shows the world that we are Christians?
- Read passage / Pray
- Play song "Can they see God"
- The true test of Christianity is one thing that stands above all other things
- The true test is ---- LOVE
- This morning I want us to see that it is the test of
1. True Discipleship
2. Genuine Service
4. The New Life
5. Love to God Proven by Brotherly Love
- I want us to understand this morning that LOVE is an action word and our actions ought to speak volumes of who we are in Christ
- Turn Signals on cars…indicators of where we are going…direction signals
[TRANS] First we should see that love is the test of…
1. TRUE DISCIPLESHIP
- John 13:34-35, "A new commandment I give you: Love one another as I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciple if you love one another."
- John says that if you really are a follower…a disciple of Christ…one who practices the things of Christ…
- All men will surely know this…HOW? Your love for one another
[TRANS] Love is also the test of…
2. Geniune Service
- John 21:16, "Again Jesus said, Simon son of John, do you truly love Me?…Take care of my sheep."
- I do the things I do because I LOVE God…My service stems from my love
- James said in James Chapter 2 that our doing demonstrates our faith and that our faith without doing (works, service) is DEAD.
- Our Love will be demonstrated through our service…not just to God…but in serving others
[TRANS] Thirdly we see love is the test of our
- 1 Cor 13:1, "If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal"
- Saying I love you is easy…however acting upon those words is where real love begins
- Not only speaking it but acting upon it
- God spoke it…then acted upon His words
- Rom 5:8, "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
- Turn to 1 John 4:9-10
- God didn’t just say that He loves us but He put it in writing and hung it on a cross.
- Seeing what Jesus did on the cross for us should compel us to want to demonstrate to others this same love (1 John 4:11)
- Our speech should be displayed through our actions.
- Story of Man on 6th St in Austin (Pizza) & Women at Mardi Gras ($10)
- The most powerful speech you have for Christ will be spoken with actions
[TRANS] Fourth we see that love is the test that…
4. Demonstrates the Reality of the New Life
- 1 John 3:14, "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love REMAINS in death."
- The old life is a life of hate…life of death
- The new life should be exemplified in our love towards others
- John 13:35, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciple, if you have love for one another."