Summary: vital keys to maintain a romantic relationship
MAINTAINING ROMANCE IN MARRIAGE
Heb. 13:4; Gen. 18:10ff; Songs of Sol. 2:15ff
1. Value your relationship - Heb. 13:4.
Your relationship with someone is the position you hold in respect of that person.
2. Appreciate your Partner - V spiritually (1 Pet. 3:7; Eph. 5), mentally (Gen. 2) and physically (Song of Sol. 1, 14ff; 7).
Remember relationships = Position you hold "in respect" of one another.
3. Deal with your Partner with Understanding - 1 Pet. 3.
Your spouse is unique; That simply means, different from other people.
4. Be Courteous - 1 Pet. 3:8-9; Eph. 4:1-2.
Courtship does not end with marriage
Be humble minded, Use three phrases; "I’m sorry; Please forgive me; Thank you".
Keep wooing one another.
5. Spend time alone talking about each other’s strengths, not weaknesses - Prov. 18:14.
You came together because of your strengths, your weaknesses would not keep you together so don’t magnify them.
6. Practice Proper Communication - 1 Pet. 3:9; Eph. 4:29ff.
You must communicate in order to commune
Use wholesome words, Find a common ground.
7. Give surprise gifts - Prov. 18:16; 21:14; Jn. 3:16.
You cannot love without giving.
Real love gives.
8. Music has a great role in romance, use it - Eph. 5:18; Song of Sol. 2:4.
Agreement = symphony (A musical term)
Music is a universal language used to express deep feelings - sorrows/joys etc.
9. Eating together - 1 Cor. 10 & 11; Acts. 2 & 4
Early Church breaking bread
Jesus and His disciples eating together
Eating together helps to seal the covenant.
10. Forgiveness is a vital key - Col. 3:13; Eph. 4:32.
Use two major phrases - I’m sorry and Please forgive me.
Keep the door of forgiveness open.
11. Remember love is a labour - 1 Cor. 13:13; Rom. 5:1-5; 2 Thess. 1
Three powerful words - Faith, hope and love, Love is the greatest of these.
Copyright 1993 Bishop David Ibeleme
Victorious Faith Ministries, P.O. Box 4378, St. Ann’s, Port of Spain. Trinidad & Tobago
(868) 625-6863 / 623-1020; E-mail: email@example.com