Summary: How do you make Godly decisions in your walk with the Lord or the Churches direction for God?
Making Godly Decisions
1. We need to be sure when making decisions for the Kingdom of God and for our church that the decisions are made after careful deliberation before the Lord.
2. We need to then be sure that the answer we hear is from God and not of our own fleshly desires or motives. That holds true for our own walk with the Lord as well.
3. I have mentioned to you many times before about the 4 ways God lead’s
a. Inner Convictions-the Holy Spirit
b. Outer Circumstances-faint at sight of blood probably don’t need to be a doctor
c. Prayer and Bible Study
d. Counsel of Godly Others
4. All throughout the Scriptures we have seen how God’s children have made decisions and the consequences for their decisions.
A. In the book of Exodus after delivering the Israelites from the hand of Egyptian bondage and while Moses was on the Mt. of Sinai receiving the commandments, they decided that Moses was taking too long and built a calf to worship God.
1. The result? Exodus 32:35, “So the Lord plagued the people because
of what they did with the calf which Aaron made.”
B. In 1 Samuel King Saul is told to wait for Samuel to return after 7 days, Saul sees the philistines gathering together to for war against him and he gets nervous so he does a burnt offering and some peace offerings before Samuel gets back.
1. The result? 1 Samuel 13:14, “But now your kingdom shall not
continue. The Lord has sought for himself a man after his own heart”
C. In Acts 6 the needs of some of the widows weren’t being met so as the disciples were in prayer and the Word of God they told the rest of the disciples to seek out 7 men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom.
1.The result? Acts 6:5, “and the saying pleased the whole multitude.”
Read Acts 15:1-22
1. The church at Antioch was a blessed church.
2. Paul and Barnabus were there as well as others.
3. But even in the holiest of churches disputes arise and the peace can be disturbed.
4. Dispute was about circumcision. You see there were gentiles being saved and gentiles weren’t circumcised. There were men in the church that said if you aren’t circumcised you can’t be saved. When Paul and Barnabus went to Jerusalem they met Pharisees who said the same. So there arose a dispute.
A. Important to notice that the peace was disturbed for just a short time.
B. It is also important because it is the first problem we see in the Christian church. And we see how it was handled.
C. Vs 2, “No small dissention and dispute”—doesn’t mean things got heated or out of hand, but that it was a very important subject.
5. Galatians 2:1-10, this is probably the journey Paul is talking about.
6. I have mentioned to you before 3 things that you must know when you have made a decision.
A. Is the decision you have come to based on the absolute Word of God, a conviction that you have or a preference? Let me expound on that today.
I. Is the conclusion you have come to based on the Absolute Word of God?
1. Perfect in quality or nature;
2. Free from mixture; pure.
3. Not to be doubted or questioned; positive:
4. Is it Pure in Substance?
a. That which is solid and practical in character, quality, or importance: a plan without substance
b. Does it benefit your Christian walk?
5. Is it Pure in Motive?
a. An impulse that acts as an incitement to action
b. Is it going to produce something for the Kingdom of God?
A. There are 2 things that we’ll deal with this morning that are absolute:
1. The Bible is the Word of God and it is pure.
a. Prov 30:5-6 Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. 6 Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar
b. It benefits your Christian walk, and together with the HS it produces something for the Kingdom of God
2. Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation.
a. Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
b. It benefits your Christian walk and it produces something for the Kingdom of God
3. These 2 things can never be changed.
4. VS. 1,5
A. Here we see these guys straying from the absolute
B. Jesus said ONLY through Him can there be a relationship to His Father.