Summary: This message points out 6 things we need to be doing to make sure our lives will have an eternal impact.
Making Sure Your Legacy Is Built To Last:
1. Plan before you build.
- v. 10b - “take heed how he builds”
- Do I care if I build? Do I want to do quality work?
2. Get skilled in building.
- v. 10 - “as a wise master builder”
- Knowing how to do it well v. just giving a “whatever” job.
- The most basic question: what am I building?
- This Greek word for “build” appears only 3 other times in the NT besides this chapter.
- Don’t miss this essential point: it’s building and working on people that matters more than anything - not building buildings, developing programs, writing books, etc.
3. Build only on the foundation.
- v. 11 - “no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ”
4. Use quality materials.
- v. 12 - “builds. . . with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw”
- Good materials are costly. Are you sacrificing for the Lord and giving Him a worthy offering? In terms of money, time, heart, are you using costly materials?
5. Build according to code.
- v. 13 - “fire”
- Why build according to code? So that it will withstand a disaster.
- You follow code on most buildings so it will withstand a hurricane or earthquake. We follow our "code" (i.e. the Bible) so it will withstand the fire of judgment.
6. Remember that you’re building the house of God.
- vv. 16-17 - “temple”
- We are building the house of God - that’s a pretty good reason to do quality work.