Summary: Whatever mistakes you make in life, let them be a place of learning.
Making the Most of Our Mistakes
• It seems sometimes that we have so many opportunities to mess up in life –
• We do things we know we shouldn’t – and we make mistakes.
• When industry tries to expand to other countries, there are plenty of opportunities for mistakes.
• When GM tried to introduce the Chevy Nova into South America, they neglected to notice that in Spanish “No va” means “No go.”
• Needless to say, sales were poor for a car that wouldn’t go.
• The National Dairy Association had great success in this country with their “Got Milk?” Campaign.
• But when they took this slogan into Mexico they were informed that their Spanish translation read, “Are you lactating?”
• When Coca-Cola was introduced in China, their attempts at finding a phonetic equivalent in the Chinese language resulted in a drink called “bite the wax tadpole.”
• Pepsi didn’t do too well either with their Chinese advertising.
• Their “Come alive with the Pepsi generation” slogan translated into
• “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave.”
The point is We All Make Mistakes
• Some of them are more public than others,
• But we’re in good company when we make mistakes.
• We may try to deny it.
• We may even call it something other than a mistake.
• If a driver makes a mistake, it’s an accident
• If a teacher makes a mistake, it’s a new theory
• If a barber makes a mistake, it’s a new hair style
But when we try to deny our mistakes, that is when the trouble really begins.
1 Corinthians 10:12 says,
If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall.
• Often we think we stand – and that’s our first mistake.
• When we think we’re doing all right, we stop being cautious, and we start make mistakes.
In Psalm 30, David admitted:
6 When I was prosperous, I said,“Nothing can stop me now!”
• When things were going great,
• I thought I had it made.
• Nothing can touch me! I will never be moved!
But then in the next verse David admits the real truth:
7 Your favor, O LORD, made me as secure as a mountain.
Then you turned away from me, and I was shattered. (Psalm 30:7, )
We stand or fall by the grace of God.
• When we believe in ourselves and our prosperity, our abilities,
• When we think we stand, that is when we make the most mistakes, and fall hard.
• Peter is one of my favorite disciples.
• He was a guy that made mistakes – and Jesus still loved him.
• That’s an encouragement to me.
Get Behind Me Satan - Matthew 16:21-23
• When Jesus told his disciples that he was going to suffer in Jerusalem and be killed and then rise again,
• Peter says, "God forbid it, Lord! This will never happen to you!”
• Jesus reply is not too comforting in this instance.
• Now He says, "Get behind Me, Satan!
• You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.”
How would you like for your mistakes to be a stumbling block to Jesus?
Even the apostle Paul was a mistake maker.
In Romans 7:19, he tells us
19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.
• We all struggle like that.
• Even when he knew what was good and right,
• Paul still made mistakes and choose to do the wrong things.
• His only salvation from such a dreadful cycle was Christ – and the same is true for us.
• So when we make mistakes, we need to understand that we are in good company
What we need to do Learn from our Mistakes
• If you’re a surgeon or a pilot, you might want to try not to make mistakes.
• But if what you do isn’t a matter of life and death – even if you think it is –
• We find that mistakes can be some of the most important things that can happen to us.
• Rather than fearing mistakes, we should try to learn from them.
• Because “Mistakes are the portals of discovery.”
• Post-it notes were invented by mistake.
• Teflon was a mistake.
• The discovery of America was a mistake.
Back in the 1970’s there was a car called the Gremlin.
• With a name like that, what can you expect?
• Even though it was a failure
• It was also the predecessor to the popular hatchback.
• So if you want to put a positive spin on it,