Summary: Mary Magdalene
A. INTRODUCTION: MARY MAGDALENE - FAITHFUL FOLLOWER
1. Many named Mary (from Hebrew Miriam), Virgin mother of Jesus, mother of James, mother of Joses, wife of Clopas, and mother of Mark.
2. Mary Magdalene, i.e., Magdala, i.e., “watch tower,” Matt. 15:39
3. Jesus tour. “He took his twelve disciples with Him along with some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases. Among them were Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons” (Luke 8:2-3).
B. FAITHFUL FOLLOWER BECAUSE OF JESUS’ HEALING POWER
1. Demon possession, i.e., victim of a power outside herself. It is a freeing miracle, so the person can be themselves.
2. Mary was a follower. “He took . . . among them Mary Magdalene” (v. 2).
3. Gratitude is least remembered of all virtues, but the acid test of character.
C. FAITHFUL FOLLOWER SUPPORTING THE CAUSE OF JESUS
1. Gave financially. “Contributing from their own resources” (Luke 8:3).
2. Apparently Mary had finances.
D. FAITHFUL FOLLOWER TO THE CROSS AND GRAVE
1. Did she follow Jesus from the trial to crucifixion? “Followed Him” (Mark 15:41).
2. She observed His death. “Some women were there, watching from a distance, including Mary Magdalene” (Mark 15:40).
3. She followed to the tomb and watched the preparation of Jesus’ body (Mark 15:46-47).
4. She stayed until the stone sealed the tomb.
E. FAITHFUL TO VISIT TOMB EASTER SUNDAY MORNING
1. Early. “Early on Sunday morning as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene . . . went out to visit the tomb” (John 20:1, NLT).
2. Finished preparing the body. “Purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus’ body” (Mark 16:1, NLT).
3. Surprised. “Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance” (John 20:1).
F. FAITHFUL TO SHARE SURPRISING NEWS OF EMPTY TOMB
1. Faithful to go tell the disciples. “She ran and found Peter (and John) . . . they have taken the Lord’s body out of the tomb and we don’t know where they have buried him” (John 20:2).
2. She was willing to take care of corpse. “If you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will go and get him” (John 20:15, NLT). Body approximately 175 pounds, and 75 pounds of spices is 250 pounds.
G. FAITHFULLY RECOGNIZING THE RESURRECTED JESUS
1. Crying when she saw two angels. “She saw two angels . . . ‘dear woman, why are you crying?’ The angels asked her” (John 20:12-13, NLT).
2. Still looking for His dead body. “I don’t know where they have put Him” (John 20:13, NLT).
3. Didn’t recognize Jesus. “She thought He was the gardener” (John 20:15, NLT).
4. Her blindness taken away when Jesus said, “Mary” (John 20:16, NLT).
5. She worshiped. “Rabboni!” (John 20:16, NLT).
H. FAITHFULLY TESTIFIED OF SEEING JESUS
1. Apostles could not believe at first. “It was Mary Magdalene . . . told the apostles what had happened. But the story sounded like nonsense to them” (Luke 24:10, NLT).
2. She and the two walking to Emmaus believed when they met the resurrected Jesus.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.