Summary: link inc. to formatted text, audio, PowerPoint.
Meet the Holy Spirit
If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, what would you talk about with your loved ones? Chances are, it wouldn't be about trivial things like the weather or 'that look' someone gave you at the store. No, you would spend quality time talking about the things truly important in life.
ill.--Henry was on his deathbed, with his wife, Henrietta, by his side. Henry said, "Dear, do you remember when the tornado came early in our marriage and took out our barn and nearly our house? You were right there by my side. And then when the house caught fire / and when all the cattle caught that terrible disease and died / bank foreclosed on us ... you were right there by my side! And now I lay a dying, and here you are right by my side just like in all those other times." She replied, "Yes, and I'm not leaving." He said, "Henrietta, I want you to know. I think you are a terrible jinx!"
In our text Jesus is living His final hours before the cross, and He is saying to His disciples that which is most important. And one of the primary themes we find now is the Holy Spirit ... the One Jesus is leaving behind in His stead after His work on earth is done.
What do you think of when I say Holy Spirit? Many see the Father and the Son as God, and coequal, but the Spirit as some lesser form, invisible, and not as real. Some see the Spirit like an errand-boy, sent to do God's bidding. Truth is, the Holy Spirit is God!
Symbols of the Holy Spirit:
1. Water - John 3:5, 7:38,39
• Fertilizes - nothing grows without water. Psalm 1:3 says we are to be like trees planted by the rivers of water.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
• Refreshes - John 4:14 - "drink of the living water and never thirst again!"
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
When truly thirsty what we really need is water. Not soda, not milk, not coffee, not even Gatorade. This world tries all kinds of fancy things to satisfy it, when what they truly need is God.
• Cleanses - I take regular baths...every Saturday! Just as you bathe with water, and add water to the toothpaste on your toothbrush, Eph. 5:26 says the Spirit cleanses us with the water of the Word...a daily spiritual cleansing.
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
• Fills - water is abundant, and can never be destroyed - 2/3rd's of the earth is covered with water. John 7 says out of your belly shall flow rivers of water. There's plenty of the Spirit to go around, and He will fill anyone who wants to be filled.
2. Fire - Matt. 3:11
• Illuminates - I Cor. 2:10 says the Spirit searches for and reveals deep truth...shining the light into the darkness so we can see the big reveal!
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
• Ignites - combustion engines need a spark plug.
He was a burning and a shining light:
What greater compliment can be paid to you than for someone to say you are on fire for God!
• Purifies - gold or silver is placed on the fire to bring out the dross and make it more pure and thus, more valuable.
2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.
• Spreads - with just one carelessly thrown match entire forest fires consume many acres and homes. At the beginning of Acts 2 there were 120 people on fire for God, and at the end of the chapter, by the close of that same day, there were 3,120! Fire spreads!
3. Wind - John 3:8
"blows where it listeth [wants to]"
• Powerful - tornadoes/hurricanes. In Acts 2 it was the wind of the Spirit that blew thru the early church!