Summary: A message considering who Melchizedek, how he is connected to Jesus and why he should matter to us!
(Internet links are to images which were later used in a PowerPoint presentation)
•OK, let’s start off with a little Bible Pop Quiz this morning
•Let’s find out who the Bible Geniuses are!
Q: Who is Melchizedek? (Fade in 1 at a time)
A.) Another name for the devil
B.) An Old Testament King
C.) Roman Emperor who reigned from 48 AD to 59 AD
•Well, the answer is . . . B.) An Old Testament King
•And obviously Melchizedek is a name that’s not very familiar to us
•But, believe it or not, Melchizedek is one of http://walkingterrachrista.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/melchizedek.jpg
•the most interesting AND important figures in all of the Bible
•AND . . . as unknown as he may be, there’s actually enough
•information and theory about him to fill a couple of sermons
•so I’m going to have to work hard to cover as much as I can
•in the time I have this morning
•Now, let me start by explaining why http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VLahN-FPn_o/UT1f7ubd_rI/AAAAAAAAbdM/VAV7ib1APvM/s320/4706-san-vitale-basilica-ravenna-offering-melchizedek.jpg
• I even chose to talk about Melchizedek today.
• First, because in a personal study I’m doing,
• and in my Community Group, AND on Wednesday nights,
• we’ve recently been covering this part of the OT –
• The Patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/nes263/student2007/smh72/pictures/26-%2520THE%2520THREE%2520PATRIARCHS%2520ABRAHAM%2520%2520ISAAC%2520%2520AND%2520JACOB.jpg
• And in one of those studies, we came across the story of Melchizedek,
• and it was pretty clear that this was unfamiliar territory for a lot of people.
• Well, part of my job is to help you learn and understand
• the parts of the Bible you’ve never studied before. OK?
• So that’s reason number one
• Reason number two, is that this particular Bible Study group
• then challenged me to preach a sermon on M
• and made it clear that they didn’t think I could really do it!
• So OBVIOUSLY, I had to preach on Melchizedek today, right?
• OK, so you know that I’m always up for a challenge,
• BUT, the real reason I want to talk about M today
• is that there is something so amazing, so mind-blowing in his story,
• that it could change the way you look at Scripture for the rest of your life!
• And that’s an opportunity I just couldn’t pass up on!
• SO . . . let’s take a look at the Scripture that is related to M,
• and see if we can really confuse you
• and then I’ll do my best to unconfused you. Sound good?
• The story of M begins in Genesis 14
• and centers around the first Patriarch, Abraham,
• or Abram as he’s called at this point.
• Now, just a little bit of review: After Noah’s flood,
• God is searching for a man to build a nation from.