Summary: We need to understand Jesus and his mission as much as we can. Isaiah 49 presents, in prophetic verse, three truths about our Savior.
1. Exciting day with Boris Goldin, Chosen People Ministries.
2. Some people enjoy Jewish Roots because they like the culture, heritage, or aura of ancient Judaism or Messianic Judaism.
3. I am interested primarily because I love the Word of God, both testaments.
4. New believer, 1974, Lamb album, Mr. Ayers/synagogue, expository preaching.
5. My entire ministry, OT and NT, 50% each.
6. In 1993, pastor friend called to ask me about feasts… 1995… Sam…internet resources, books, etc.
7. But the heart of my interest is still the Bible, including texts like today’s.
8. Review: The Servant of the Lord in Isaiah can refer to Cyrus, Israel, the Messiah, or the Messiah and Israel together.
9. In our text, the Messiah is called Israel and is the called the one who rescues Israel; the harmonization comes from understanding the Bible uses the King of a nation interchangeably with the nation over which he rules.
I. The Messiah Is Israel’s KING (3, 5-6)
A. Symbolism for nation: King and KINGDOM interchangeable (3)
1. (e.g., Daniel 2:36 (quickview)  and following where King Nebuchadnezzar and his kingdom are both symbolized as the “head of gold”; the antichrist and his empire are both called “the beast” in Rev. 13, etc.)
2. Messiah is sometimes called David, means he descended from David
4. “Israel” can mean, “he is a prince with God”
B. This Servant brings ISRAEL back to God (5-6a)
Like Jesus, we are all called to bring people back. Peacemaking, reconciliation, leading people to repent…[Gal. 6:1, restoration] We all fail in differing ways…
We talked about how Barnabas rescued John Mark from the stigma of desserter
C. But this is not ALL he does
II. The Messiah Would Live A UNIQUE Life (1-2, 4,7)
This message is to be shared to the “coastlands” where Jewish people were exiled
B. Was an AMAZING teacher (2)
The Word of God is a sword and an arrow (piercing)
1. Sadly, many Christians gravitate toward celebrity leaders and teachers, we need to learn from the Master himself who has given us a wealth of unknown but often competent teachers of the Word.