Summary: Today I would like to introduce to you a model Christian that few know about. He is the second man in a sermon series entitled God’s Patriots making no bodies into some bodies.
INTRO: Today I would like to introduce to you a model Christian that few know about. He is the second man in a sermon series entitled God’s Patriots making no bodies into some bodies. In the book of Kings we are introduced to the most wicked couple ever to rule Israel, Ahab and Jezebel, and within these texts we are introduced to two of the most popular prophets of this time period and to us the most recognizable prophets Elijah and Elisha. Within this mix we find this prophet Micaiah who comes out of nowhere to deliver a prophecy one in which fills in the missing pieces to the prophecy Elijah gave Ahab at Naboth’s vineyard. We are all know the story Ahab wanted Naboth’s vineyard and when he refused to sell it, Ahab like a spoiled child went home to cry to his wife Jezebel who has Naboth killed. Ahab goes to his new vineyard and is meet by Elijah who tells him that he and his wife are going to die. If you want more details then you read it in 21st chapter of 1st Kings. But today we want to focus and the man Micaiah and how from this brief introduction we can learn how to be a model Christian.
I. What’s in a name?
A. Names told you about that person it was a testimony to them, the Jews took name choosing very important. As seen in the case of John the Baptist.
1. Enoch “dedication”
2. Elijah “Yahweh is God”
3. Elisha “ God Saves”
4. Amos “ To Carry”
5. Hosea “ Salvation or Yahweh Saves”
6. Isaiah “ Jehovah is Helper or Salvation is of the Lord”
B. The name above all names.
1. Isaiah told King Ahaz in Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Which means God with us.
2. Other names are giving Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace, The Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and End, and The Word of God.
3. We know Him as Jesus Christ Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
4. Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; (11) And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
II. Be thou Holy.
A. Micaiah means “Who is like Jehovah”
1. Moses and IAM
2. All in All God is Holy
a. Leviticus 11:44 For I [am] the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I [am] holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
b. Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
c. Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
d. Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
B. That means we are to be Separate.
1. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.(16) For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. (17) And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
a. Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].
b. 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (15) And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? (16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you, (18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.