Summary: We often limit our expectation of God by the excuses we give Him to bless us. But God wants us to expect more from Him than what we can perform or deserve.
RAISING THE BANNER OF EXPECTATION
MINDSET OF MERCY
Faith comes by hearing God’s word- Romans 10:17
· To understand
Faith alive is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen – Hebrews 11:1
· This doesn’t mean that to prove we have faith, things we pray for have to become substance or evidence for others to see. It means that faith is activated in us when we generate a mindset of seeing things and planning things before they are evident to others around us.
o Abraham didn’t take the time to explain it to those around him when he went to the mountain
· To raise our banner of expectation we must raise our mindset of God’s provision of substance and evidence.
o Luke 8:40 – Waiting for him (Expecting him)
§ Some just to see this famous man
§ Others to see what he would do (Miracles the show)
§ Jairus, for his daughter
· Jairus and his wife had high expectations yet they were still astonished at what God had done
§ Woman with an issue of blood for healing
o What are we waiting for?
§ Are we just expecting to get a glimpse of him
§ Be encouraged by some act of him
§ Or to have him touch and change our lives for the better
· He has changed our lives forever, He also wants to change our lives for the better
o John 10:10 …I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
David said “I expect Goodness and mercy to pursue my life”
Equipping a Mindset of Mercy
Mercy – A steadfast devotion and unfailing kindness based upon a prior relationship.
o To the Jews it was based upon God’s relationship with Abraham
o David showed mercy to the descendants of Jonathan
§ 2 Samuel 9:7 And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely shew thee kindness for Jonathan thy father’s sake, and will restore thee all the land of Saul thy father; and thou shalt eat bread at my table continually. 8 And he bowed himself, and said, What is thy servant, that thou shouldest look upon such a dead dog as I am ?
o To whosoever believes, it is based upon God’s relationship with Jesus,
§ Because of Christ relationship with God, we should have a high expectation of God’s mercy or steadfast devotion
· Jehovah Rohi
· Jehovah Jireh
· Jehovah Shalom
· Jehovah Ropheca or Rapha
· Jehovah Tsidkeenu
· Jehovah Shammah
· Jehovah Nissi
o Corresponding Aramaic words
§ Defines mercy as the flowing of a mother’s milk
· Noting that a mother’s milk does not flow based upon child’s daily good or bad activities. But it flows due to previous relationship of giving birth.
§ Defines goodness as the sweetness of honey
· Making David’s expectations that the promise land of milk and honey would follow him all the days of his life.