Summary: The first Miracle of Jesus, turning the water into wine.
Today I’d like to talk about Miracles John 2:1-11
(Jesus performed His 1st Miracle / Elaborate / Some Big Some Small / Jack Cancer
John 2:1-11 Read
Now Does it seem strange to you that Jesus would pick a wedding as the place to launch His Ministry?
• Maybe even
• Maybe You should start out with something like Healing a blind man.
• That ought to get ya on the 6 oclock news for sure.
• Or better yet Why don’t you Cleanse a leaper that’s always a crowd pleaser
• They’ll love it.
• But then if you really want them to stand up / take notice
• Why don’t you raise someone from the dead
• That would cinch it up
• Your career would be off to a flying start
But then Jesus would say “Ya know I was thinking about turning water into wine”
• Why would anyone want to do a miracle like that?
• But that’s exactly what Jesus did
Jesus was attending a wedding
• Just kicking back / Relaxing / (elaborate on wedding atmospheres)
• Jesus was Enjoying the celebration of a man and a woman committing themselves to each other in marriage.
Jesus, The Creator of all, was the one who invented marrage
• So It only makes sense that He would join in the festivities.
• It only makes sense that He would Bless this young couple with His presence
• A little know carpenter from Nazareth / feasted and celebrated on this joyous occasion
But Water into Wine?
• Why would the Messiah / The Son of God
• Begin His ministry with such an unusual act?
Lets think about this for a minute
• Jesus performed a miracle to brought Happiness and Joy
• To celebrate the union of a man and a woman.
• What Jesus did for this young couple in Cana
• Shows us that God can and does intervene in our lives at any moment
• And He provides us exactly what we need.
• In fact many times He goes far beyond what we need or ever thought to ask for
This wasn’t some lame slight of hand trick
• Like dropping some food coloring into those huge 30 gallon containers
• Jesus created fine wine / perfect wine / in an instant!
• This was wine that by every indication had come from premium grapes.
• Those Grapes had Grown on healthy vines.
• They had soaked up the warm Middle East sun for a full season.
• Then they were crushed in a wine press
• And stored in special skins / or casks / and aged to perfection.
There are people that consider themselves Wine Connoisseurs
• If you ever are surfing the channels and some how end up on the food channel
• You might see a guy take some tiny sips out of a wine glass
• Then swirl it around in the glass
• And exclaim about it’s qualities
• He will tell you more about wine then you ever wanted to know
• He will tell you about its Aroma
• He’ll tell you about the Bouquet
• He’ll tell you about its Finish
• We sometimes refer to people like this as Wine Snobs