Summary: The biggest problem in marriage is selfishness
MODERN FAMILY GOD’S WAY 6 - GOD’S WAY FOR WOMEN
Text: Titus 2:1-5
1. There’s no better way to honor the women of Waterford, and our guests, than to lift up today some great truths that God inspired to be written in His Word, for our benefit.
2. Read text
3. Satan has pointed all of the artillery of hell at the home
4. Think about it: Immorality, adultery, fornication, homosexuality, abortion, militant feminism, juvenile delinquency, sexually transmitted diseases, spousal abuse, child abuse…these are all sins hatched in hell, and they all have 2 things in common:
5. They are:
1) On the rise and
2) Aimed at destroying the family
6. Why, is Satan at war with the family? Because Satan has always known that as the home goes, so goes the nation and the souls of its citizens.
7. Arnold Toynbee, a British historian (1889-1975), is most famous for his magisterial A Study of History, 1934-1961. In this 12-volume work he examined the rise and fall of nations. One of his more significant remarks is worth recalling:
“Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now.”
8. In spite of all the pessimism in the world today, we have reason to be optimistic.
9. In far more challenging times than our The Inspired Apostle Paul wrote from prison where he was for preaching the gospel. He said,
Philippians 4:4-8 4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:10-13 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
10. The family is the primary bulwark against moral decay and the collapse of a civilization.
11. Good news today: God has a plan! And it is the family as God planned it.
12. “When all else fails, read the directions”
1) Men aren’t the best at this…putting together a toy, navigating a road trip, but this is for the ladies today anyway!
13. Paul gave Titus his marching orders.
14. Exegete Titus 2:1
Titus 2:1-2 1 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.
15. Sound doctrine is healthy teaching. Lets look at some things that make us healthy.
I. Her Mandate
A. Teach the young women
Titus 2:3-4 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,
B. The young women are to learn what is good. It doesn’t come naturally it must be learned.
C. They learn it from the pulpit (2:1)
D. And they learn it from the older women: what they teach and model.
E. Our older women have a God-given responsibility to teach the younger women how to be good wives, mothers, and homemakers.
F. The context of this is not a ladies Bible class.
G. The younger women also have a responsibility, according to this passage, and that is to listen to the older women, and to avail themselves to their wisdom.
H. Who is teaching the younger Christian women of today? Who is shaping their family values?
I. I’m afraid that in many cases it’s someone like Oprah. The world is sending all kinds of negative messages to our younger women:
“If you’re not happy, satisfied with your husband or family…just leave him! After all, you have a right to be happy”
J. We need some older women who have been married for years to step up and say, you have the right to keep your commitment, vow before God…and…it’s not your feelings that sustain your commitment, it’s your agape love.
K. We need women to model what agape love looks like