Summary: After every great victory comes a test.
Matthew 3:16 – 4: 1-11
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my = Security
Beloved Son = Identity
In whom I am well pleased = Affirmation
Temptation = Testing of Men or of God
Temptation of Jesus Temptation of us
1) Shows he can identify with us 1) To help us Grow
2) Directly from the Devil 2) Lesser Demons
3) Ordered by the Holy Spirit 3) From our own desires and lusts
40 = Trials, Probation & Testings
There are eight of such great periods on the surface of the Bible:
• Forty days Moses was in Mount Sinai to receive the Law, Exodus 24:18.
• Forty days Moses was in the mount after the sin of the Golden Calf, Deuteronomy 9:18,25.
• Forty days of the spies, issuing in the severe sentence of the 40 years, Numbers 13:26, 14:34.
• Forty days of Elijah in Horeb, 1 Kings 19:8.
• Forty days of Jonah and Nineveh, Jonah 3:4.
• Forty days Ezekiel lay on his right side to symbolize the 40 years of Judah’s transgression.*
• Forty days Jesus was tempted of the Devil, Matthew 4:2.
• Forty days Jesus was seen of His disciples, speaking of things pertaining to God’s kingdom, Acts 1:2.
The test was not a matter of if but when
The text says if you are the Son of God but is understood that since you are the Son of God
This is not a question of Jesus’ deity but a challenge to get him to prove it through works of miracles.
Chronos – Time – has a quantitative nature
Kairos – Season – Opening – Opportunity - has a qualitative nature
Seasons don’t leave until they accomplish a purpose
Going to a storm
Going through a storm
Coming out of a storm
Devil – Dejects ( Depresses the Spirit of) – Annoyance – Person or Thing That annoys, Nuisance, Unwanted Visitor