Summary: There are a lot of myths about money people tend to live by. Do not be a statistic
• VIDEO CLIP
• SLIDE #1
• That clip makes me laugh every time I see it. It is funny because I wonder if a lot of people do not get it.
• When you look at some of the crazy things we do with our finances, it almost seems as we at times have been as clueless as Steve Martins character in the skit.
• A lack of knowledge or understanding in any area of life can lead to problems for us.
• If we lack understanding, it becomes easy for us to fall prey to allowing our finances to be driven my myths instead of reality.
• This morning we are going to examine a few of those myths together and we will touch on a few of the scriptures that will shine the light of truth on the myth so that we do not fall into the trap of blindly following the myth.
• Never forget that if Satan can keep you in bondage and broke, he can help you keep your mind off of your relationship with Jesus.
• Remember over the last two weeks we looked at the area of finances because it is the second most talked about subject in God’s Word. This message will conclude this series.
• I hope that you see the blessings God wants you to have as a result of submitting yourself to His lordship in this area.
• Let’s begin our journey this morning by looking at myth number 1
• SLIDE #2
I. It’s my money.
• How many of us are living out this myth. It is the attitude that it is MY money, so I can (waste it) spend it or do with it was I see fit.
• This attitude will hurt us because we are telling God that we do not need Him.
• In Deuteronomy 8, God is reminding the still wandering Israelites that when they get into the Promised Land that they were not to forget from WHERE and WHOM their blessings came from.
• SLIDE #3
• Deuteronomy 8:17-18(ESV) 17Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ 18You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
• Now why would God want the people to remember how they got what they did and from whom it came from?
• Is God just looking for pats on the back?
• No, it goes much deeper than that. God knows that when we forget where our blessings come from we will live like we forget who our God is.
• SLIDE #4
• Deuteronomy 8:11-14(ESV) 11“Take care lest you forget the Lord your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today, 12lest, when you have eaten and are full and have built good houses and live in them, 13and when your herds and flocks multiply and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied, 14then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery,
• If we want to experience the full blessings from God it is important that we always realize what we have comes from God.
• Athletes of all people should realize this, you do not learn to throw 100 mph or run a 4.3 40, that is a gift from God. Your intellectual capabilities are from God.