Summary: Four Who Questions: 1. Questioned-v.31 2. Accused-v.33 3. Condemned-v.34 4. Removed-v.35
- Japan was empire building at the end of the 30’s so US put an embargo on oil & steel.
- Dec. 7 1941 Japan’s surprise attack on Pearl Harbor so they could focus on new resources to cripple US
- Japan had an army of 2 million strong stationed in the home islands guarding against invasion.
- American soldiers and civilians were weary from four years of war, yet the Japanese military was refusing to give up their fight.
- July 26 1945, the United States called for a surrender of Japan
- If they would not surrender Japan would meet with "prompt and utter destruction". – (More than conquerors)
- The Japanese government ignored this ultimatum.
- American airmen dropped Little Boy on the city of Hiroshima
- August 6 1945, followed by Fat Man over Nagasaki on August 9.
- On 15 August, six days after the bombing of Nagasaki, Japan announced its surrender to the Allies
- Result 90,000–166,000 killed in Hiroshima
- 60,000–80,000 killed in Nagasaki
- Total: 150,000–246,000+ Japanese killed
- Casualties to the US None
- Today Japan is an allied with USA
- Now US is more than conquerors
- Individually we need to be more than conquerors
Ro. 8:31 – “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us
- QUESTION - Where is God when opposition comes:
• From our BODIES … sickness, disease aches & pains.
• From PEOPLE … hard to get along with, will hurt your feelings, disappoint you.
• From CIRCUMSTANCES … things don’t always go our way.
- Keep From Getting Lost in the maze of a forest
- Use an orienteering compass
- Know the direction you need to go
- Set your compass
- Keep checking your bearing
Four Who Questions
v. 33 Accused
v. 34 Condemned
v. 35 Removed
1. Questioned – v.31
Psalm 42:10–11 (AV)
10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
2. Accused – v.33
Psalm 112:7 (AV)
7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
3. Condemned – v.34
Romans 8:1 (AV)
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
4. Removed – v. 35
John 10:28 (AV)
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Who shell separate us from the love of Christ? v.35
- List moves from less trouble to greater trouble
• Tribulation? – That which comes upon us from without, oppression
• Distress? – From Within, Pressure, No room to move, Hemmed in
• Persecution? – Intolerance, Bigotry, Harassment To put to flight
2 Timothy 3:12 (AV)
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
• Famine? – Hunger
• Nakedness? – Without shelter
• Peril? – Danger, Misery, Distress & Fear
• Sword – Physical Attack, Violent Death
The Extremes of Existence
- v. 36 – Quoting from Ps 44:22
- A sense of helplessness
- Then there is Ro. 8:38-39
Romans 8:38–39 (AV)
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The Message | Ro 8:38-39
I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, 39 high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.
What Got Him Through?
- It was the love of Christ – v.35, 37, v.39
- He was certain (v.28…we know…) (v.37…we are more…) (v.38…I am persuaded…)
- So we can say
Philippians 4:13 (AV)
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
1 John 4:4 (AV)
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
God’s love for us is like Teflon.
- Tag Line: Nothing Messes With It. Protecting the things you value every day, so you have one less worry.
- Teflon is bonded to the material on which it is placed.
- Teflon protects and deflects danger.