Summary: Acct of Elijah and Ahab
MORE TO FAITH THAN ONE MOUNTAIN TOP VICTORY
1 KG 19 DR. MICHAEL POPE
1. V 19:1-3 ELIJAH COMES DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOP
a. He was no mere prophet: He had seen many victories
1) He stood before an ungodly King and Queen to declare God’s Word
2) He prayed and it did not rain in Israel for 3.5 years
3) He challenged the King’s false prophets to a contest on Mt. Carmel and stood alone for God and WON
4) He prayed again and the rains returned
b. At the word of this horrid woman, he runs for his life
2. V 19:4-10 Zech 4:6 MOUNTAIN TOP VICTORIES TODAY DON’T GUARANTEE ENDURING FAITH TOMORROW
a. v 4 He is spiritually disillusioned and asks God to take his life. Only shows us how utterly human and frail Elijah is.
b. v 5-8 He is physically exhausted (just ran 95 miles)
c. v 10 He felt he was the only one standing for God.
3. V 11-14 GOD’S GRACE IS NEW EVERYDAY (doesn't depend on our faithfulness, He is merciful)
a. v 11 God does not speak the same way every time
b. v 11-12 God does not come in ways we imagine
c. v 12-14 Do not look for many signs, WAIT for His Word and Will to be revealed to you.