Summary: Lessons from the life of Moses - PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). The Problems Moses Experienced (vs 1-10)
(2). The Prayer Moses Voiced (vs 11-15)
(3). The Provision Moses Needed (vs 16-25)
• Due to an accident a minister had to have all of his remaining teeth pulled out;
• And a set of new dentures were made for him.
• The first Sunday he preached after this happened;
• He only preached 10 minutes.
• The second Sunday, he preached only 20 minutes.
• But, on the third Sunday, he preached 1 hour 25 minutes.
Well it did not take long for the congregation to start grumbling and moaning about the length of his last sermon.
• One of the Church leaders decided to have a quiet word with him;
• And ask him about the various lengths of his recent talks.
• The minister responded this way.
• On the first Sunday, my gums were so sore it hurt to talk, so I had to keep it short.
• The second Sunday, my gums were much better;
• But after a while talking, my dentures started to hurt,
• So once again I needed to finish early.
• On the third Sunday, I accidentally grabbed my wife's dentures by mistake
• And that’s why I couldn't stop talking!
• TRANSITION: Now all of you wanting to complain about that joke;
• Please form a que at the door of the vestry afterwards!
COMPLAINING is often said to be a British national pastime:
• We British like to complain about everything;
• We moan about the weather, “It’s too hot, it’s too cold, it’s too windy, it’s too wet etc.”
• In fact some people literally moan about everything!
• We live in the most indulged society in the world;
• And yet it is also the most disgruntled society in the world.
• It seems to me that the more we have the more we seem to complain.
• TRANSITION: The people in Numbers chapter 11;
• Are people who are moaning and grumbling without any valid reasons,
• They had every reason to celebrate and virtually no reason to complain.
Think of God’s track record – the background to this chapter:
• God had set this people free from slavery.
• When the Egyptian army came after them, God drowned them in the sea.
• Never again would these people labour under the crack of a whip.
• When hunger gnarled at their stomachs;
• God provided bread from heaven!
• When their throats panted for water;
• God cracked open a rock, and water gushed out to quench their thirst
Furthermore, God’s people were about to enter a land:
• Where there enemies had been swept away by hornets;
• (Exodus chapter 23 verse 28).
• They would live in cities they did not build;
• Find homes they did not furnish,
• Drink water from wells they did not dig;
• Eat fruit from orchards they had not planted.
• Instead of whining they should have been singing;
• Instead of grumbling, they should have been dancing.
• Instead of complaining, they should have been celebrating.
• And yet, this whole chapter is one of complaining
• Keep in mind...this is only 3 days into their journey!
• That’s right just three days have passed since they had left Mt Sinai.
• And these people are not happy!
• The Hebrew word for complained, ‘anan’ means, “to mourn.”
• Their complaining was a moaning that stemmed from self-pity.
• I was tempted to do a sermon on complaining this morning;
• Because like these ancient Hebrew people we are very good at that!
• Quote: Will Bowen
• "Complaining is like bad breath;
• you notice it when it comes out of somebody else's mouth, but not your own."
• And one obvious lesson that jumps out of these verses is:
• Am I a complainer or a thanks-giver?
I am Thankful for.........
• ....the taxes I pay
• ....because it means I’m employed.
• ....the clothes that fit a little too snug
• ....because it means I have enough to eat.
• ....my shadow who watches me work
• ....because it means I am out in the sunshine.
• ....a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing
• ....because it means I have a home.
• ....the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
• ....because it means I am capable of walking.
• ....my huge heating bill
• ....because it means I am warm.
• ....all the complaining I hear about our government
• ....because it means we have freedom of speech.
• ....the lady behind me in church who sings off key.
• ....because it means that I can hear.